Marina is a London-based Associate focusing on Financial Services Regulation and Fintech. She advises financial services firms, technology companies and corporates on a broad range of regulatory perimeter and compliance issues, including under the UK Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 as well as the retained UK MiFID, AIFMD and PSD rules. She also assists with authorisation and other applications to the UK Financial Conduct Authority.
Marina regularly advises on Fintech regulatory matters involving blockchain technology, digital assets and smart contracts, across various industries, including financial services, real estate and media. She has assisted issuers, platform operators and market infrastructure providers with structuring and launching digital projects in compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and industry best practices, including anti-money laundering, securities and payments regulations. She has also provided input on legislative reform initiatives concerning the trading and settlement of digital securities.
In addition, Marina advises global firms on cross-border financial services regulatory matters and has participated in a number of multi-jurisdictional regulatory compliance projects, involving the UK as well as other jurisdictions, including in the EU, the US and Asia. She has advised a number of banks, investment firms and payment institutions on the implications of Brexit on their cross-border operations and the territorial scope of the UK regulatory framework. Marina also advises on a broad range of fund regulatory matters, including in relation to the cross-border distribution of investment funds.
Marina is the editor of the firm’s publications for Financial Services – Exchange International and Anti-Money Laundering Bulletin and contributes articles to external publications on a broad range of financial services regulatory matters.
- Provided ongoing regulatory support to a start-up Fintech group on the development of an institutional blockchain-based market infrastructure for the trading and settlement of security tokens.
- Advised a global bank on the establishment of an institutional custody solution for digital assets and associated regulatory implications, including from an anti-money laundering perspective.
- Advised a global fund manager group in relation to the acquisition of a competitor group and associated change in control application to the FCA.
- Advised various asset managers on offering funds in the UK, including on a private placement basis, and marketing via the UK National Private Placement regime.
- Advised a global asset management group on the delegation requirements under the AIFMD framework, in the context of the re-organisation of their investment management business across various jurisdictions.
- Advised an EU bank on the provision of financial services in the UK post-Brexit and associated authorisation requirements and attended relevant meetings with the Prudential Regulation Authority and the FCA.
- Advised an industry body on responding to a consultation concerning reforms to the EU Money Market Fund Regulation.
- Participated in the FCA sandbox, testing a RegTech solution for early-stage financing.
- London School of Economics (LSE), LLM in International Business Law (Distinction), 2018
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, LLB; Bachelor of Law, 2015
- "Innovation: The Evolution of the FCA Sandbox", Competition Policy International, 26 May 2022
- "At the Brexit cliff-edge", Compliance Monitor, 06 Mar 2019
- Marina joined a panel discussion on 'Women in Digital Assets', hosted by DLA Piper in partnership with GBBC Digital Finance, Chainalysis Inc. and the Tony Blair Institute for Global Change, discussing women careers in blockchain and digital assets - 17 October 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
- Lawyer – Athens Bar Association
- Registered Foreign Lawyer – Solicitors Regulation Authority