Blake William JacksonPartner
Blake Jackson creates intellectual property strategies and solutions for his clients, while treating intellectual property as a real business asset.
Blake prosecutes patents, counsels on a variety of intellectual property matter and supports patent litigation teams for a wide range of companies both large and small. He has developed and implemented patent programs from the ground up for start-up companies, managed patent portfolios for companies going through IPO and acquisition, managed IPRs, evaluated patent portfolios for large international organizations, participated in successful multi-million dollar patent negotiations and sales as well as been involved in the intellectual property aspects of licensing, corporate diligence and acquisitions. He has also participated on numerous patent litigation and trade secret teams as technical patent counsel.
Blake's intellectual property experience includes work in the technical fields of mechanical engineering, computer software, aeronautics, mobile networks, e-commerce, clean energy, cloud computing, social networking and personal health devices. His experience with design patents as well as trademark prosecution and counseling allows him to counsel on a full range of corporate intellectual property concerns.
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of Technology
- B.S., Systems Engineering, United States Naval Academy
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Patents: Prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings) (2023)
Blake enjoys working on a variety of pro-bono projects, including patent prosecution and counseling for the Entrepreneurship Bootcamp for Veterans with Disabilities Program, and helping qualified inventors draft and prosecute patents through the USPTO patent hub’s Chicago-Kent program.
Blake has also spent time on a pro bono basis with the John Marshall Veteran's Legal Support Center and Clinic, assisting veterans with disability claims.
- "Startups Seeking Crowdfunding: Avoiding Patent Pitfalls," DLA Piper Venture Alley, April 30, 2014 (contributor with Trent Dykes)
- "Question Mark," Intellectual Property Magazine, May 2012 (co-author with Heather Dunn)
- "Business Method Patents," Ch. 18, Intellectual Property Law (IICLE®, 2012)(co-author with Timothy W. Lohse)
- Circuit Court of Cook County, Judicial Extern
Before becoming an attorney, Blake served in the US Navy as both an electronic counter-measures officer, flying in EA-6B Prowler jet aircraft, and as a collegiate ROTC instructor and professor.