David Kuo is a corporate partner in DLA Piper's Singapore office and is qualified as a US attorney and a Hong Kong solicitor. Based in Asia since 2007, David has extensive experience in a broad range of transactions throughout Asia and the US, including cross-border M&A and business combinations, private equity and venture capital transactions, particularly in the real estate, technology and energy sectors.
David also has substantial experience leading corporate finance transactions, including equity, debt, hybrid and equity-linked securities. He is praised by a client for his “uncanny ability to discuss and absorb highly sophisticated deal points, absorb all the nuances and, with or without notes, come back with tight, elegant prose that completely delivers our intention or better.” He advises on all types of corporate mandates, including joint ventures, private equity investments and sales and acquisitions. (Chambers Asia-Pacific / Global, 2020)
Prior to joining DLA Piper, David spent over 15 years in US and Hong Kong at US and UK headquartered international law firms.
- Represented Hinduja Global Solutions, an Indian listed conglomerate, on (i) the disposal of its U.S. healthcare business process optimization division in a carve-out transaction to Barings Private Equity Asia for USD1.2 billion, (ii) the acquisition of Diversify Offshore Staffing Solutions, an Australian business process optimization business with operations in the Philippines for USD40 million, and (iii) the proposed and ongoing acquisition of Teklink, Inc., a U.S. data analytics company for USD58.5 million.
- Represented Pine Labs, a leading Indian merchant platform company providing financing and retail transaction technology, on its USD45 million acquisition of Fave, a SE Asia smart payment app and a loyalty and cashback platform with operations in Malaysia and Singapore, as well as its earlier series C preferred share investment into Fave.
- Represented Apeiron Agrocommodities Pte Ld., a Singapore headquartered biofuel and bioenergy company with operations across South East Asia and China, on the equity investments by Mitsui Chemicals and Proterra Investment Partners.
- Represented Mirabaud, an European based asset manager, on its (i) series C preferred share investment into a Singapore based technology company providing e-commerce, digital marketing, analytics and technology integration services and (ii) series D preferred share investment into a Singapore based consumer brands company.
- Represented Lingble (an e-commerce service provider), Cove Living (operator of co-living spaces), Collab Asia, Inc. (digital marketing) and other emerging companies on their various venture capital financings.
- Representing EXS Capital Advisors Pte, a Singapore based asset manager, on the settlement of its investments into SKL, a Vietnamese real estate property developer and (ii) the establishment of EPIC VCC and the ongoing establishment of its Developer of Developers VCC.
- Represented SeaOil Philippines, a leading independent fuel company in the Philippines, on its sale of a 20% interest to Caltex Australia, and the entry into a strategic partnership.*
- Represented Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan (i) as a selling shareholder of Ganji.com (an operator of online classified advertisement in China), in the business combination transaction between 58.com (a NYSE listed Chinese e-commerce company) and Ganji.com, which values Ganji.com at USD2.8 billion; on its series D preferred share investment into 360Buy (now JD.com); and (iii) on its series C preferred share investment into Ganji.com.*
- Represented Brookfield Property Partners, a US listed company focused on operating and investments in commercial real estate, on its USD500 million pre-IPO investment in China Xintiandi, a subsidiary of Shui On Land, a Hong Kong listed real estate property developer in in the PRC.*
- Represented Jinchuan Group Limited, one of the largest global base metal producers and a PRC state owned enterprise, on its approximately USD1.36 billion unsolicited take-over of Metorex Limited, a South Africa based on Johannesburg Stock Exchange listed producer of copper and cobalt, by way of a scheme of arrangement.*
- Represented Ule Group Holdings, an e-commerce company and a joint venture between China Post, a PRC state owned enterprise, and TOM Group Limited, a Hong Kong listed media company, on its pre-IPO financing by strategic and financial investors.*
- Represented Meadville Holdings Limited, a company listed on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited, in the business combination transaction with TTM Technologies, Inc., a NASDAQ listed company, and the registration of shares of TTM Technologies, Inc. to be issued in connection with the transaction. The transaction is the first time that US listed shares are offered as consideration in the sale of a Hong Kong listed company.*
*Denotes experience from a previous firm.
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Columbia University School of Law, JD
- University of California, Los Angeles, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science – International Relations
- Leading lawyer – Corporate/ M&A: Hong Kong-based (International Firms), Chambers Asia-Pacific, Chambers Global
- He is praised by a client for his “uncanny ability to discuss and absorb highly sophisticated deal points, absorb all the nuances and, with or without notes, come back with tight, elegant prose that completely delivers our intention or better.” He advises on all types of corporate mandates, including joint ventures, private equity investments and sales and acquisitions. Chambers Asia-Pacific / Global, 2020
Memberships And Affiliations
- Registered foreign lawyer in Singapore
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Ellimist Singapore on series of significant pharmaceutical M&A...
13 October 2023 .3 minute read
DLA Piper has advised Templewater on the acquisition of Knight Auto
4 September 2023 .2 minute read