Richard Allan RubanoPartner
Richard Rubano has extensive experience advising clients worldwide on matters related to sports, media and entertainment, including buyers, sellers, financial investors (PE funds, sovereign wealth funds, etc) and sports franchises in the National Football League, National Basketball Association, Major League Baseball, National Hockey League, Major League Soccer, and various European football leagues.
Richard has led some of the MSE sector’s most high-profile transactions, including structuring and negotiating mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, controlling and non-controlling equity investments and recapitalizations of premiere sports properties; as well as structuring bid groups, consortiums, industry-focused funds, and other complex joint ventures.
In addition to his work in the MSE sector, Richard has led numerous transactions in the broader private equity and M&A markets; and acts as an advisor to the firm's clients on a wide range of general business law and governance matters.
Richard's experience includes the representation of:
- The Sarver ownership group in its sale of the Phoenix Suns and the Phoenix Mercury basketball teams for an NBA record-breaking enterprise value of $4b
- The Mansour family in their acquisition of the expansion rights to San Diego FC for an MLS record-breaking expansion fee
- Qatar Investment Authority in its investment in Monumental Sports and Entertainment (owner of the NBA’s Washington Wizards, NHL’s Washington Capitals and the WNBA’s Washington Mystics), the first investment by a sovereign wealth fund in a U.S. sports franchise
- Ares Management Corporation in its $150m preferred equity investment in Inter Miami CF, as well as its follow-on $75m preferred equity investment
- The lead-investor in a consortium pursuing the acquisition of the Washington Commanders
- The lead-investor in a consortium pursuing the acquisition of Chelsea
- Multiple franchises in connection with investments by private equity funds
- Multiple limited partner investors in a consortium pursuing the acquisition of the Denver Broncos
- AS Roma SPV, LLC, the majority shareholder of Italian soccer club AS Roma, in its sale of its controlling interest in the team and related assets
- Tilman J. Fertitta in his acquisition of the Houston Rockets NBA franchise, including the operating rights to the Toyota Center Arena, for a then-record purchase price of $2.2b
- Theodore Segal in his acquisition of the Houston Dynamo MLS franchise and the Houston Dash NWSL franchise
- Bennett Rosenthal, Larry Berg and Brandon Beck in their acquisition of a controlling interest in Los Angeles Football Club
- The ownership group of the Atlanta Hawks in its $700m+ sale of the NBA franchise and operating rights to the arena
- Arthur M. Blank in the acquisition of the expansion rights to Atlanta United FC
- Abu Dhabi United Group in the acquisition of the expansion rights to New York City Football Club
- Stephen Ross in his acquisition of the Miami Dolphins football franchise and Dolphin Stadium
- Northland Investment Corporation and Larry Gottesdiener in the acquisition of the Atlanta Dream WNBA franchise
- Laura Ricketts and Laura Desmond in connection with the investment in the Chicago Sky WNBA franchise
- J.D., Fordham University School of Law
- B.A., Fordham University
summa cum laude
- The Best Lawyers in America
2024 - Sports Law
2023 - Sports Law
- The Legal 500 United States
2019 - Recommended, Construction (Including Construction Litigation)
2017 - Next Generation Partner, Sport
2016 - Recommended, M&A Middle-Market ($500M-999M)
- In 2019, Richard was named a Law360 Sports Rising Star.
- In 2016, Richard was named to the Sports Business Journal's 40 Under 40 list.
- "DLA Piper advises AS Roma in its sale to The Friedkin Group for €591 million," DLA Piper, Augusr 17, 2020
- Rising Star: DLA Piper's Richard Rubano, Law360, October 7, 2019
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Major League Soccer’s newest expansion franchise in San Diego
19 May 2023 .3 minute read
DLA Piper partners Peter White, Mark Whitaker and Richard Rubano named to Sports Business...
25 October 2021 .4 minute read