Ilan SherrLegal Director
Ilan Sherr is Executive Director of Aiscension.AI Ltd, an award winning legal risk management service. Aiscension uses a combination of lawyers assisted by trained neural-net artificial intelligence, enabling businesses to proactively monitor and spot risks within their business in a cost effective and timely way. Aiscension is an operationally independent but related company to DLA Piper. Aiscension’s client base includes an impressive list of the world’s leading businesses in the manufacturing, industrial, transport and logistics sectors.
Ilan is also an experienced EU and Competition Law solicitor and a Legal Director based in DLA Piper’s London office. Ilan has expertise in behavioural competition law, mergers and acquisitions, compliance, competition litigation, abuse of dominance and State aid. Qualified as a solicitor in England & Wales and the Republic of Ireland – he has specific interest in the Tech, consumer goods, media and life sciences sectors.
Ilan is also the Network Co-chair of DLA Piper’s diversity & inclusion Parent and Carer’s Team (PACT).
- Executive Director for Aiscension.
- Launched cartel module using artificial intelligence to fundamentally change the way organisations are able to obtain cartel risk management and detection services.
- Developing bribery module for release using artificial intelligence to spot bribery and create a holistic risk management and detection platform.
- Winner of the Lawyer Award for most innovative use of technology. Also shortlisted for a number of other prestigious awards.
- NTT/Dell - advised NTT on obtaining global merger clearances for their acquisition of the IT Services division of Dell
- Mobilink/Warid - advised Vimpelcom on its acquisition of a competing mobile network operator in Pakistan
- Menzies Aviation – advised Menzies on obtained merger clearance for its acquisitions of competing ground handling services Airline Services Ltd and ASIG Holdings Ltd
- Celesio AG - advised on the acquisition by Celesio AG of the Sainsbury's Pharmacy business and on McKesson Corporation's acquisition of the Pharmaceutical Wholesale business of United Drug Group in the UK and the Republic of Ireland
- Qualcomm/Epcos - advised Qualcomm on the acquisition of Epcos from TDK
- Copyright Licensing Agency - advised the CLA on its legal action with the Design and Copyright Society (DACS) regarding the validity of a long-term agency agreement
- Alphameric - advised Alphameric in its successful defence in the BAGS v AMRAC litigation
- Industrial Bags - acted for an industrial bags manufacturer in two separate private damages actions from purchasers
Behavioural advice and investigations
- Aviation insurance – advised a global insurer in relation to a multi-jurisdiction investigation into competition law issues in the aviation insurance sector.
- Media and entertainment – Responded to dawn raid to assist a major sports network in dealing with a multi-site European investigation across a number of jurisdictions.
- Computer Gaming - advised one of the major video game publishers in responding to the European Commission's investigation into distribution of Video Games.
- Mercedes-Benz - advised on four concurrent competition law investigations (UK and EU), including a criminal investigation under the Enterprise Act.
- NFRN - advised on three concurrent investigations by the OFT into Newspaper distribution.
- University College London, LLB Law
- Kings College London, PGDip EU Competition Law
- Kings College London, MA EU Competition Law
- Concurrences – contributed many articles to the Concurrences online Competition Law journal, published by Sweet & Maxwell.
- Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises in International Economic Law – author of the State aid chapter, published by Oxford University Press (2017).
- Getting the Deal Through - State Aid – author and editor of the UK State aid section for 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- European Union Law of State Aid – author of Chapters on Small and Medium Sized Enterprises, Training and Employment aid, published by Oxford University Press (editions 1 and 2).
- Westlaw Insight – published articles on the Cartel Offence and Abuse of Dominance.
- Butterworth’s European Competition Laws – UK chapter, published by Butterworths.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society Competition Section
- Competition Law Association
- UK State Aid Law Association, Steering Committee