Dan Kenney practises in the Securities and Corporate Finance Group with a primary focus on securities and transactional corporate matters, principally with clients in the upstream energy industry, the oilfield services industry and the mining industry. He is experienced in both Canadian and international transactions and has practised corporate and securities law since 1996.
Dan represents a broad range of issuers listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange and the TSX Venture Exchange. He acts for:
- financial investors, strategic investors and management teams in the acquisition of private and public companies and in substantial investments in those companies;
- management teams and underwriters in private and public financings; and
- public companies and investors in governance and compliance matters.
Dan’s practice includes the following:
- Assisting corporations with their day-to-day compliance with securities and corporate legislation.
- Representing acquirors and targets in mergers, acquisitions and takeovers.
- Negotiating and implementing joint venture agreements, partnerships and other corporate combinations.
- Representing and advising clients on all forms of equity-based financing, including public offers and private placements.
- Advising on and implementing corporate reorganizations and restructurings.
- Negotiations with securities commissions and Canadian stock exchanges including listings on the Toronto Stock Exchange and the TSX Venture Exchange and advising on ongoing compliance matters.
- Advising and representing agents and underwriters in both public and private financings
- Acted for Granite Oil Corp. in transaction with International Petroleum Corporation providing for the acquisition by IPC of the issued and outstanding shares of Granite Oil for cash consideration of $0.95 per Share.
- Acted for Rio2 Limited in its merger with Atacama Pacific Gold Corporation.
- Acted for Boulder Energy Inc. in its $270 million sale to ARC Financial Corp.
- Acted for Rio Alto Mining Ltd. in its $1.35 Billion Sale to Tahoe Resources Inc.,
- Acted for DeeThree Exploration Ltd. in its corporate reorganization resulting in spin-out of Boulder Energy Inc.
- Acted for Rio Alto Mining Limited in its acquisition of Sulliden Gold Corporation Ltd.
- Acted for DeeThree Exploration Ltd. on its $73 million equity financing.
- Acted for Southern Legacy Minerals in Merger with Regulus Resources Inc.
- Acted for Marubeni Corporation in connection with the $963 million acquisition of Grande Cache Coal Corporation.
- LL.B., University of Alberta, 1995
- B.Comm., (Finance), University of Calgary, 1992
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Corporate Law), 2018-2024; (Mining Law), 2021-2024; (Securities Law), 2022-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Mining Law), 2018-2021; 2023(Corporate Mid-Market), 2020; 2023
- Legal 500 Canada (Corporate and M&A), 2016; (Energy - Mining), 2016
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Securities Law Subsection of the Alberta Branch of the Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
My latest insights
Listed Issuer Financing Exemption: The CSA answers frequently asked questions from market...
13 June 2023 .6 minute read