Georg Krakow is a partner and heads the Litigation & Regulatory practice at DLA Piper in Vienna.
He is a board member of a major non-profit organization in the field of Rule Of Law and anti-corruption, a lecturer at the International Anti-Corruption Academy in Laxenburg, the University of Vienna and Sigmund Freud University. He previously held a senior cabinet position at the Federal Ministry of Justice and worked as a senior public prosecutor and public prosecutor in white-collar criminal cases in Vienna. Prior to that, he worked for ten years in the private sector, including in contract law. He is author and partly co-editor of several publications in the field of criminal law, AML-regulatory law, compliance, and lobbying.
As a lawyer, Georg advises and represents companies, institutions and individuals in all areas of white-collar criminal law and compliance issues. One of his main areas of expertise is the assessment and evaluation of criminal law cases through internal investigations in multidisciplinary teams. The holistic support of all necessary steps in criminal law matters is his specialty. Another focus is on shortening or completely avoiding lengthy proceedings in advance of trials with the help of comprehensive risk analyses and the implementation of efficient compliance systems.
- University of Linz, akad. Expert in European law, 1999
- University of Vienna, Mag. iur., 1997
Georg Krakow is listed as a leading criminal law and compliance expert in Austria in all major lawyer directories:
- Top ranked practitioner for White-Collar Crime in Chambers Europe 2022
- "Georg Krakow is a first-class white-collar crime practitioner with a particular focus on internal investigations and compliance matters. He also handles tax evasion and credit fraud proceedings as well as matters relating to export regulations.” Chambers Europe 2021
- Hall of Fame lawyer in dispute resolution: white-collar crime (including fraud) Legal 500 EMEA, 2021
- Lecturer at:
- University of Vienna
- Sigmund Freud University of Vienna
- International Anti Corruption Academy
- 2014 to 2021 Partner, Vienna based international law firm
- 2011 to 2014 Senior Counsel, Vienna based international law firm
- 2008 to 2011 Head of Cabinet of Ministry of Justice, Senior Public Prosecutor
- 2004 to 2008 public prosecutor and senior public prosecutor
- 1998 to 2004 Austrian judiciary (trainee judge, judge, ministry of justice)
- 1992-1998 Head of legal department of private retail company
- 1988-1992 Department head in furniture sales company
- Georg Krakow engages in rule-of-law-work and is asked to comment on matters of the judicial system and criminal law in the media
Memberships And Affiliations
- Vienna Bar Association