Morgan T. McDonaldPartner
Morgan McDonald is a business lawyer, practising corporate and commercial law with companies from startup, to growth and ultimately later operating stages. Morgan’s practice is focused on assisting founders and established companies in the technology sector, including software, gaming, ecommerce and related technology facing businesses and emerging markets including artificial intelligence, cloud computing and privacy. Morgan has also been involved in assisting clients in the emerging cannabis and psychedelics sectors since inception and has helped companies navigate new regulation and rapid growth in the space. Regardless of the industry, Morgan provides value to new and repeat entrepreneurs using a business centric and practical approach to solving business and legal needs from incorporation through exit.
Morgan assists clients at early stages with long and short term planning in company formation and shareholder and founder agreements. As they grow, she assists clients with IP creation, commercialization, and management, go-to-market contract drafting and negotiation including development, licencing and subscription agreements, employment and contractor agreements and compensation plans, and ongoing contract review. As needs arise, Morgan assists companies and investors with debt and equity financing from friends and family and seed through series rounds and private equity and venture capital opportunities by negotiating and managing transactions from term sheet through close.
Morgan is active in the startup and technology community, partnering as a mentor with a number of accelerators and incubators and speaking regularly to entrepreneurs and providing office hours.
Prior to earning her LL.M. from the University of British Columbia, Morgan externed at the United States District Court for the Central District of California and was called to the California State Bar.
- Eldridge LLC in its Acquisition and investment into Viral Nation Inc. and a Viral Nation International Inc. for CAD$250 million.
- Eldridge LLC in its Series B Investment into Skyhive Technologies for approximately $40 million.
- Draganfly Inc. (NASDAQ: DPRO, CSE: DPRO) in the launch of Draganfly’s Drone Technology Course at Alabama State University’s Division of Continuing Education. Draganfly Inc.
- Seequent in dual track process where the client evaluated options to publically list or sell, resulting in an acquisition by Bentley Systems, Incorporated for US$1.05 billion.
- Seaspine in its acquisition by plan of arrangement of 7D Surgical for a purchase price of US$110 million.
- Hiya Inc., on its expansion of fraud and spam services into Canada and negotiation of its carrier contract master technology and services agreement with Rogers.
- se2 Technologies in its acquisition of Breathe Life Inc. to expand se2’s end-to-end SaaS solutions to help carriers offer a digital buying experience to customers.
- Eldridge LLC in its Series D Investment into Koho Financial Inc. for approximately $210 million.
- Commit Solutions Inc. in its $6 million Seed Financing round.
- NuData Security Inc., a cyber-fraud detection and behavior analysis software platform, through to its sale to Mastercard Incorporated.
- Bit Stew Systems Inc., a Big Data edge network aggregation developer, throughout its growth and commercial development, including multiple financings culminating in its sale to a subsidiary of General Electric Co. in a cash transaction valued at US$153 million.
- Plentyoffish Media Inc. ("POF"), one of the world’s largest online free dating sites, and its founder Markus Frind in POF's acquisition by The Match Group for US$575 million.
- Lofi Studios in its initial seed investments and launch of its WEEDGANG NFT.
- Gratify Payments Inc. in its founding and the Australian and Canadian launch of its buy-now, pay-later solution for payment services providers.
ESG/ RETAIL/ CONSUMER GOODS/ WELLNESS
- Hydrofarm Holding Group Inc.’s acquisition of Greenstar Plant Products Inc. for a CAD$103,635,000.
- Tru Earth Environmental Products Inc. in its seed funding, bridge loan funding and Series A Round.
- VGAN Brands Inc. in its acquisition of The Gourmet Ghetto Ltd. dba NextJen Gluten Free in connection with its initial financing and public listing.
- TrendiTech Inc., a food waste startup, in its seed financing, corporate clean up, commercial relationship management.
- Numinus Wellness Inc. on regulatory, employment and related operational matters in its transaction to acquire Novamind Inc. and it’s US-operating subsidiaries in Utah and Arizona.
- Delic Holdings Inc. in its acquisition of Ketamine Wellness Centers for approximately USD $10m.
- LL.M., University of British Columbia, 2012
- Certificate of Qualification, Federation of Law Societies Canada, 2012
- Juris Doctor (Cum Laude, Dean’s List), Southwestern Law School, 2011
- The Legal 500 Canada (Technology), 2022
- Speaker, “Before the Raise” - the Forum, November 2022
- Speaker, “Top ten drafting considerations for technology and commercial lawyers”, CLEBC, October 2022
- Speaker, “Lifecycle of a Startup - Founding to Financing to Exit”, CLEBC, October 2022
- Speaker, “Automated Data Processing and AI, CBABC section on Privacy Law and Freedom of Information, November 2021.
- Speaker at Entrepreneurship week @ UBC, October 2021
- Speaker, “Employees vs Contractors”, DamageLabs, March 2021
- Speaker, “Demystifying Company Equity”, WIMDI Series, March 2020
- Speaker, “Regulatory Landscape Surrounding Psychedelics in Canada”, April 2020
- Speaker, “Effectively Handling AI Legal and Ethical Issues,” 2019 CAN-TECH LAW Annual Conference, October 28, 2019
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of British Columbia
- State Bar of California
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Director, The Forum
My latest insights
Canadian Startups, Emerging Companies and Technology group continues to assist...
10 February 2023 .1 minute read