Stefan Panic is an IPT lawyer with more than 12 years of broad experience advising Austrian and multinational clients and specializing in data protection, IT and eCommerce, as well as telecommunications law.
Beyond his specializations, Stefan also provides advice in matters of general civil and commercial law as well as public (administrative) law. He also advises on legal matters related to block-chain technology, as well as cyber security.
Stefan has advised in various GDPR implementation projects and continuously advises clients on various GDPR issues, including data breaches, has an extensive experience in data protection proceedings before the Austrian Data Protection Authority, and regularly speaks and writes on various data protection topics.
Stefan has also completed a number of secondments with Austrian and multinational clients and has in this way gained valuable experience working as an in-house lawyer.
- Advising a major IT consultant business on a number of IT outsourcing projects.
- Advising a major Austrian bank on Austrian data protection issues in the course of pre-trial discovery in the US.
- Advising on compliance measures regarding data protection for a leading consultancy company, including setting up complex data applications such as whistleblowing hotline or data loss prevention systems.
- Advising on compliance measures regarding data protection in Austria for a leading global pharmaceutical company, especially in connection with the setting up of a whistleblowing hotline.
- Advising on compliance measures regarding data protection for a global leading manufacturer of utility vehicles (on-going comprehensive).
- Advising an international bottling company and an international wholesale company on GDPR compliance implementation.
- Advising a plant manufacturing company on their software setup, including the use of open source software.
- Advising an international IT consultancy company in respect to drafting and negotiations of IT and outsourcing agreements with various clients (secondment).
- Advising a major multinational automobile company in respect to various complex data processing activities.
- University of Vienna, Mag. iur., 2009
Recommended for Data Privacy and Data Protection in Austria, Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
- February 2020, "Changes in the regulation for image processing" (together with Benedikt Wolf)
- December 2018, "Cookie Walls / Paywalls Hybrids are permissible?", assessment of a DPA decision on cookie walls in Austria (together with Miroslav Jakubek)
- November 2018, "Correlation between the GDPR and Bitcoin Blockchain" (together with Miroslav Jakubek)
- December 2018, "Austria: "Cookie Walls Paywalls" hybrids are permissible?", assessment of a DPA decision on cookie walls (together with Miroslav Jakubek)
- January 2018, "Data protection for personal data of legal entities in Austria under the GDPR?"
- May 2017, Austria: draft GDPR implementation act
- July 2016, "Data Protection Rules with USA" (diepresse.com)
- June 2019, DGRI Three Countries Summit - “Smart Factory / Data Lakes – Case Study” (co-lecturer)
- May 2019, Austrian IT Law Day - “Data protection requirements for means of communication in a company”
- February 2018, Forum for the medical products traders, Chamber of Commerce of Upper Austria - "The new EU General Data Protection Regulation"
- May 2017, World IP Day 2017, Austria Wirtschafts Service - "Big Data - Challenge for the economy"
- May 2017, Business Breakfast, DLA Piper, "Preparation for and implementation of GDPR"
- May 2016, Business Breakfast, DLA Piper, "Challenge GDPR"
- 2014, A three-month secondment in the legal department of an Austrian plastics company
- 2015, A three month secondment in the legal department of an Austrian plant construction company
Memberships And Affiliations
- Vienna Bar Association