Oskar Winkler heads the Finance, Projects and Restructuring practice in Vienna. His practice covers all aspects of finance law, real estate law and corporate law including restructuring.
He advises clients on all questions of corporate transactions including asset and share transactions, operating real estate and on all types of real estate transactions, on the financing of real estate and infrastructure projects and transactions as well as on restructuring matters.
Oskar has been involved in numerous national and international corporate and real estate transactions in Austria and across Central and Eastern Europe. Furthermore, he is a specialist in Austrian mining law advising his clients in all mining related legal and administrative matters.
In addition, he has substantial experience in insurance law, including insurance supervisory law, and reinsurance. He also advises insurance companies on M&A transactions and represents clients in court in all insurance related disputes.
- Advising an Austrian real estate investor on borrower side, as part of a comprehensive real estate financing of a prestigious high-rise project in Vienna.
- Advising a German finance specialist on a complex EUR 75 million mezzanine financing for a real estate project in Vienna which was established in addition to existing bank loans in the amount of EUR 360 million.
- Advising a German pension fund and insurance group in structural-regulatory matters as well as insolvency law in connection with the refinancing of two significant buildings in Vienna and Innsbruck.
- Advising a Korean real estate investment and management corporation in the context of the Austrian "Deal of the Year 2019" – the sale of the Hilton Parkview hotel. We were advising both on the financing and on the sale on the buyer's side and on the transaction itself.
- Advising a U.S. real estate investment and management corporation with respect to the more than EUR 100 million financing and purchase of the iconic DC 3 Tower, situated in the Vienna Donau City, from the Vienna real estate developer S + B Gruppe AG.
- Advising a major Austrian bank in connection with the refinancing of the Vienna Grand Hotel and the Erste Wiener Hotel AG, including documentation of out-of-court recovery as well as loan documentation.
- Advising a Luxembourg-based investment fund on the sale of two Austrian luxury hotels.
- Advising an Austrian operator of speciality retail centres on the acquisition of a retail park in Styria with a size of 8,800 square metres.
- Advising a leading global toy brand on a supplement to a lease agreement in the Viennese shopping centre SCS and advice on the conclusion of an additional agreement in the Vienna shopping park Donauzentrum.
- Advising the Polish real estate branch of an international consumer goods wholesale company on the sale and lease back of several of its locations in Austria.
- Advising a French investment fund for SMEs and mid-cap companies on the acquisition of a British hotel group originally founded in Germany, which operates low-budget hotels in Europe.
- Advising an Austrian bank in connection with the sale of a 111.000 square metres office building complex in Vienna, including drafting the contract and contract negotiations.
- Advising the real estate arm of an international insurance group on a multijurisdictional joint venture project with SES, the largest Austrian operator of shopping centres.
- Advising the European Parliament on the acquisition of new premises of the representation office of the European Parliament and of the European Commission in Vienna.
- University of Vienna, Dr. iur., 1984
- University of Economics Vienna, MBA, 1981
- “Oskar Winkler is involved at all stages; very pleasant to work with and fully reliable.” Client, Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
- "He has an incredible technical experience and he throws in ideas about the latest legal issues and trends he has dealt with." Client, Chambers Europe 2020
- Sources report: "He provided clear and concise advice and his management of the matter greatly facilitated the successful closing of the transaction." Chambers Europe, 2018
- Oskar Winkler’s strong team advises clients on real estate finance and transactional matters. Legal 500 EMEA, 2017
Before cooperation with DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach, Oskar was a partner with another reputable law firm in Vienna for several years. His career comprises the international insurance company Allianz in Austria, where he was, amongst other responsibilities, the project leader for the establishment of Allianz' Hungarian subsidiary Providencia, which is Hungary's second largest insurance company today.
My latest insights
Best Lawyers and Handelsblatt recommend 10 partners from DLA Piper Vienna
23 June 2022 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises on project financing of Vienna’s "Althan Quartier“
11 March 2022 .3 minute read