Michael GrahamLegal Director
Michael Graham is a legal director in the UK London tax team. He has a broad level of tax experience, which includes specialising in Funds tax (investor and management side), and also advising on the tax aspects of mergers & acquisitions, financing and cross-border tax structuring.
Michael is a Chartered Tax Advisor, and has also worked in a Big4 tax practice.
Michale's recent experience includes advising:
- Claret Capital Partners on the fund formation, management fee and UK carry structuring of a direct lending Fund established in Luxembourg. Project value of plus EUR300 million. Project completion June 2020.
- Large international sponsor on the fund formation, management fee and UK carry structuring of a VC Fund established in Luxembourg. Project value of plus EUR100 million. Project completion early 2022.
- Investor groups following the collapse of Abraaj Private Equity. Project completion October 2019.
- Advised TPG on fund formation of its global Real Estate Fund, the acquisition of Arlington Properties and a Portuguese real estate acquisition, and a MIP for management. Project value of plus USD3.7 billion. Project completion March 2019.
- Rhone Capital on its strategic partnership with Eurazeo. Project value of USD100 million in cash and 2 million newly issued shares of Eurazeo. Project completion April 2018.
- Carlyle on fund formation of its pan-European Real Estate fund, and global Energy fund, including carried interest planning with respect to Carlyle’s UK and European management team. Project completion 2018.
- Orion on a number of UK real estate acquisitions, a refinancing, and a restructuring to account for offshore fund rules planning.
- British Land on setting up a JV REIT for in partnership with GIC, over the Broadgate Estate. Project completion December 2013.
Funds - Tax
- NEQSOL on the acquisition of Vodafone Ukraine, and on the acquisition financing from a group of international funds and financial institutions led by J.P. Morgan Securities Plc and Raiffeisen Bank International A.G. Project value USD734 million. Project completion December 2019.
- Aareal on the financing of the pan-European K+K Hotel portfolio. Project value EUR164 million. Project completion November 2019. Also advised on the financing of a second pan-European hotel group. Project value EUR287 million. Project completion June 2020.
- Jaja Finance Limited (leading digital finance company) on the acquisition of Bank of Ireland’s UK credit card portfolio. Project value GBP530 million. Project completion July 2019.
- UK headquartered tech-group on a group reorganisation, in light of the substance rules in the BVI. Project completion March 2020.
- Wyndham Worldwide on the sale of European Vacation Rentals Business to Platinum Equity. Project value of c.USD1.3 billion. Project completion February 2018.
Transactional & Restructuring - Tax
*Denotes experience from previous firm
- BPP University, Legal Practice Course, 2010-11
- University of Manchester, LLB Law (First class honours), 2007-10
- May 2019 - present, DLA Piper LLP
- 2017 - 2019, Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- 2015 - 2017, Paul Hastings (Europe) LLP
- 2013 - 2015, Deloitte, Real Estate Tax
- 2011 - 2013, Berwin Leighton Paisner LLP
Memberships And Affiliations
- Chartered Tax Advisor