David Hallam is an experienced lawyer who is a trusted advisor to numerous private and public companies for whom he provides strategic commercial and transactional advice. He possesses the skills, experience and commercial acumen that inspire confidence and deliver outstanding results for his clients.
David has particular skill in executing domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions and commercial transactions. He has particular expertise in transaction structuring, negotiation and project management. David's clients operate in a range of sectors including transport & logistics, resources, healthcare, manufacturing, government, restructuring, technology and agriculture.
- Advising the Australian Football League (AFL) on the landmark acquisition of Melbourne's Etihad Stadium in the Melbourne Docklands. The complex deal involved the acquisition of the operating business at Etihad Stadium, the freehold ownership of the stadium, acquisition finance, and the unwinding of a number of original development arrangements.
- Advising Graphic Packaging International Inc (NYSE:GPK) on its acquisition (through its wholly-owned subsidiary Graphic Packaging International Australia Pty Limited) of 100 percent of Colorpak Limited (ASX: CKL) by Scheme of Arrangement.
- Advising Surbana Jurong Pte Ltd and its parent Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited in its landmark AUD451 million (USD297 million) acquisition of SMEC.
- Acting for Zijin Gold in its purchase of a 50 percent interest in the Porgera Gold Mine, PNG, from Barrick and related strategic partnership agreement.
- Acting for Zijin Gold on the takeover by scheme of arrangement of Norton Gold Mines.
- Acting for Murray Goulburn on the landmark USD2 billion ten year milk supply contract with Coles for private label milk, including associated site acquisition and facilities development. This transaction was shortlisted for 'Law Institute of Victoria' Deal of the Year 2014.
- Acting for the receivers of the Allco Group of companies in relation to the management and sale of the Aviation Business of the Allco Group (‘Deal of the Year: Insolvency’ nominee, ALB Awards).
- Acting for the receivers of the Timbercorp group of companies in relation to the sale of their forestry assets ('Deal of the Year: Insolvency' nominee, ALB Awards).
- Acting for Queensland Rail and Babcock & Brown in relation to the USD1.3 billion acquisition of Australian Railway Group.
- University of Melbourne, Law / Commerce, Law (Honours), Accounting, Economics, 1990
- Best Lawyer - Corporate - Best Lawyers Peer Review, 2019
- Best Lawyer - Insolvency, M&A and Transportation - Best Lawyers Peer Review, 2010 - 2019
- Best Lawyer - Aviation - Best Lawyers Peer Review, 2012 - 2017
- Melbourne Aviation Law, 'Lawyer of the Year' - Best Lawyers Peer Review, 2014
- Melbourne Mergers & Acquisitions 'Lawyer of the Year' - Best Lawyers Peer Review, 2013
- "Foreign Investment in Australia", 16 Feb 2017
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Institute of Victoria