Clancy KingSpecial Counsel
Clancy King is experienced in a range of employment issues and the provision of legal and strategic advice to clients across the employment relationship. Her advice is valued for its commercial focus and technical expertise.
Clancy advises on employment and workplace issues from pre-employment through to managing exits, including workplace disputes and employment litigation, responding to workplace claims, negotiating senior executive exits, resolving sensitive and complex disputes and day-to-day employment matters. She has experience in employment matters arising in corporate transactions including employee transfers and restructuring.
Clancy regularly advises international clients on entering the Australian market and negotiating the Australian employment system, working closely with local and international counsel to manage Australian employment matters.
- Acting for a ride-share service in the first judicial test of the status of driver-partners in Australia, successfully establishing that driver-partners are not employees.
- Acting for a publicly listed company in proceedings in the Federal Court of Australia brought by a former senior executive alleging breaches of contract and general protections breaches and successfully resolving without final trial.
- Advising an Australian subsidiary of an American medical devices company in respect of allegations of serious misconduct by the local Chief Executive Officer and claims brought by other employees in connection with the misconduct, including advising in respect of related workplace disputes.
- Advising a US-based technology company on the first enforcement of post-employment restraints, globally, successfully enforcing those restraints on a former-employee seeking to commence employment with a global competitor and recovering client property.
- Advising an Australian subsidiary of an American cloud computing company in defending claims of inducing breach of contract by employing a former employee of their largest global competitor.
- Acting for Westpac Banking Corporation in a claim filed by a former senior employee in connection with alleged underpayment of bonuses, negotiating settlement shortly after filing the defence.
- Advising a local subsidiary of a global fintech company on strategy and response to non-compliance with employment-related obligations.
- Acting for a ride-share service in a range of unfair dismissal, general protections and discrimination claims in various jurisdictions.
- Advising a global software provider on an investigation and management of allegations of sexual harassment and related misconduct by a sales employee at an international conference, including management of related termination and resolution of related proceedings.
- Advising a global information technology services company on employment aspects of a global restructure, including drafting relevant documentation and coordinating local counsel across six jurisdictions.
- The College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, 2013
- University of New South Wales, Juris Doctor, First Class Honours, 2012
- University of Technology, Sydney, Bachelor of Arts in Communications, 2009
Clancy is recognised by Legal 500 Australia for Labour and Employment, as a senior associate that “works unbelievably hard to make sure her clients get the best outcome.”
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises NASDAQ listed Aspen Technology, Inc. on AU$900m acquisition
28 July 2022 .3 minute read