Daniel Colgan is an experienced competition law practitioner, who has practised in this field for more than 10 years.
Daniel's practice includes advising on a wide range of complex competition law issues in an international context, covering both the EU and national regimes. In particular, he has managed numerous complex multi-jurisdictional merger control proceedings (including Phase II investigations before the European Commission) and major high-profile global cartel matters involving coordinated investigations by multiple competition authorities worldwide. Daniel’s areas of practice also include advising clients in relation to a wide range of horizontal and vertical arrangements, dominance investigations, competition litigation and State aid.
Daniel has advised clients in a wide range of industries and has particular experience in the energy (upstream, mid-stream & downstream), transport and logistics, heavy industry/manufacturing, mining and entertainment sectors. His recent experience includes advising a client in the context of a global cartel investigation with more than 20 jurisdictions concerned, representing clients before the European Commission in relation to investigations concerning both dominance and complex horizontal cooperation agreements and advising on the merger control issues in relation to the acquisition of an upstream energy company.
Daniel’s achievements have been recognised by his inclusion in the Global Competition Review (GCR) "40 under 40" survey 2016 as one of the 40 top competition law practitioners under the age of 40 in the world.
- BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course, 2002
- University College London, LLB, Law with German law, First Class Honours, 2001
- European School of Brussels, European Baccalaureate
- 2010 - 2015, Principal Associate, UK magic circle law firm (Brussels office), competition group
- 2006 - 2010, Associate, UK magic circle law firm (Brussels office), competition group
- 2004 - 2006, Associate, UK magic circle law firm (Brussels office), competition group
- 2002 - 2004, Trainee solicitor, UK magic circle law firm (London and Brussels office)
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Ordre Francais des Avocats du Barreau de Bruxelles - member of the francophone bar of Brussels (E list) (since 2004)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Hy24 on strategic equity investment into InterContinental Energy
10 October 2023 .4 minute read
Antitrust Matters – August 2023 – Competition and Sustainability
31 July 2023 .4 minute read