Geoffrey LevittOf Counsel
Geoff Levitt is co-chair of DLA Piper’s FDA Regulatory Practice group. He advises clients on a wide range of regulatory, policy and legislative issues impacting the healthcare and life sciences sectors.
Geoff previously served as senior vice president and chief counsel for Pfizer Inc.’s Upjohn division in China, as chief regulatory counsel for Pfizer Inc. and Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, and as head of international affairs and policy for Viatris Inc. At Pfizer, he was responsible for managing global legal support for regulatory, medical, safety, clinical research, manufacturing and environmental operations.
Geoff has published and lectured extensively on regulatory law. He is a past Chairman of the Board of the Food and Drug Law Institute and current member of the editorial advisory board of the Food and Drug Law Journal. He has also served as Chair of the PhRMA Law Section Executive Committee.
Prior to joining Wyeth and Pfizer, Geoff headed the FDA regulatory practice at a major law firm in Washington, DC, where he represented a wide range of pharmaceutical and medical device clients on GxP compliance, exclusivity and approval issues.
- J.D., Harvard Law School
- B.A., Political Science, Columbia University
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Healthcare: Life Sciences (2023)
- Co-Author, “Off-Label Communications: The Prodigal Returns,” Food and Drug Law Journal, Vol. 73 No. 2 (2018)
- “The Drugs/Biologics Approval Process,” chapter in A Practical Guide to FDA’s Food and Drug Law and Regulation (2017) (K. Piña and W. Pines, eds.)
- Co-author, “Preemption of Non-Federal Restraints on Off-Label Product Communications,” Food and Drug Law Journal, Vol. 71 No. 2 (2016)
- “Drug Safety Communication: The Evolving Environment,” chapter in FDA in the Twenty-First Century: The Challenges of Regulating Drugs and New Technologies (2015) (H. Lynch and I. Cohen, eds.)
- "Developing ‘Antennae’ for Drug Regulations and Policy: A Conversation with Geoffrey Levitt," Biospace, April 28, 2021
- "DLA Piper taps Morgan Lewis partner, Pfizer alum for practice leads," Reuters, March 24, 2021
- "Ex-Pfizer Atty Joins DLA Piper As It Bolsters Life Sciences," Law360, March 22, 2021
- "Pfizer’s Ex-Chief Regulatory Counsel to Helm DLA Piper Practice," Bloomberg Law, March 22, 2021
My latest insights
New FDA draft guidance on cosmetic facility registration and product listing
16 August 2023 .5 minute read
Key updates from FDA's latest guidance on presenting efficacy and risk data in DTC...
5 July 2023 .3 minute read