“So far I have only used the services provided by the environmental law team (Vilmar and Nathalia), and I am completely satisfied with their work.” – Client, NPS
Nathália Almeida works in highly complex environmental cases in consulting, pre-litigation and litigation matters involving environmental law. Nathália advises national and foreign corporations from all sorts of sectors in a large range of matters, such as environmental licensing, contamination, risk assessment, liabilities, waste management, basic sanitation, contaminated and degraded sites, specially protected areas, biodiversity, traditional communities.
She also represents clients in judicial and extrajudicial proceedings (including in administrative proceedings related to environmental penalties, civil inquiries and police inquiries) regarding environmental matters, as well has experience in transactions/negotiations, especially with public authorities and other relevant stakeholders.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
- Advised an agrobussiness company on a study carried out by several companies in the Northern Region of Brazil, regarding the environmental impacts of their activities on land occupied by indigenous communities. We are also responsible for representing the client in environmental lawsuits, and investigative and administrative proceedings, arising from its operations.
- Advised a Brazilian organization of producers of sugarcane and fuel ethanol on legal opinion regarding the analysis of the technical assumptions used in the studies prepared by Federal University of Rio de Janeiro that indicates values of maximum specific reactivity for ethanol higher than previously stipulated, from technical analyzes conducted by Unica, as well as the consequences of approval of the studies, by the Federal Environmental Agency (IBAMA), which supported the definition of new phases of the Vehicle Emissions Control Program affecting the technological development of the automotive sector in relation to flexfuel engines.
- Advising a water and sewer company on the environmental aspects of a project being developed for the provision of water and sanitation to 26 municipalities of the state of Rio de Janeiro and the construction of a wastewater collection system for the environmental recovery of Baía da Guanabara.
- Defending Brazilian Power Company in administrative proceedings filed by IBAMA and the Environmental Agency of Mato Grosso do Sul, which resulted in the imposition of fines due to environmental damage caused by a wildfire, for which the client is allegedly liable.
- We provide legal assistance regarding environmental matters to an Australian globally-focused energy company in respect with its activities. We also represent Client before IBAMA in Infraction Notice imposed against company regarding an industry issue that is affecting client's activity in Brazil.
- Advising a Turkish energy company in several aspects related to an innovative Project that foresees the operation of four Powerships (floating Thermoelectric Power Plants), such as (i) legal advisory in environmental matters, (ii) legal assistance in the environmental licensing proceedings, (iii) representation in lawsuits filed by the Federal Prosecutor Office and NGO, (iv) negotiations with Public Prosecutors, environmental agencies as well as other stakeholders, (iv) assistance in communication with medias and interviews, and (v) representation in Parliamentary Investigation Committee.
- Advised the third largest Brazilian energy company in respect with environmental aspects at the federal, state and municipal levels applicable to ship-to-ship and ship-to-barge operations in various locations in Brazil.
- Worked in extrajudicial mediation involving more than 1,200 fishermen seeking compensation from a Brazilian state-owned company.
- Worked in a legal assistance group in a crisis scenario in case of suspected leakage of wastes at the main plant of the client in the world.
- Negotiation with an environmental agency that enabled the issuance of environmental licenses and authorization for a relevant client operating in the agrobusiness sector.
Master’s Degree in Law, Public Policy and Sustainability, Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro, 2021-2023.
Postgraduate Degree in Brazilian Civil Procedure, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro, 2022
Postgraduate Degree in Environment and Sustainability, Fundação Getúlio Vargas, 2020
Bachelor of Law, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, 2018
Extension Course on Accounting for Lawyers, Fundação Getúlio Vargas, 2021,
Extension Course New Regulatory Framework for Basic Sanitation: General Aspects, Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro, 2021
Climate Litigation: International and Brazilian Experience, Escola Superior de Advocacia RJ, 2020
- Bachelor of Law, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, 2018
Prepare the booklet “Professionals living with HIV/AIDS”, prepared in the former law-office.
- Co-authored with Vilmar Gonçalves, "The Use of Technological Resources in the Protection of the Environment in Brazil," Regulation 4.0 - Volume II. 1st ed.São Paulo: Thomson Reuters Brazil, 2020, v. II
Memberships And Affiliations
Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), Rio de JaneiroBrazilian Union of Environmental Advocacy (UBAA)