Robert Black is a partner in the firm's Toronto office. Robert practises corporate and securities law, with an emphasis on commercial transactions, securities and corporate finance, private equity, investment funds and hedge funds, mining and resource company transactions, corporate governance and mergers and acquisitions.
Robert is a former member of the Securities Advisory Committee to the Ontario Securities Commission, which is the senior advisory committee to the Chair and staff of the OSC. The Committee is composed of senior partners of various Toronto law firms and its members are chosen by application.
Robert has acted for numerous corporations and their boards of directors with respect to commercial transactions, public and private financings, mining and resource transactions, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate law matters.
He also advises Canadian and U.S. investment dealers, investment funds and hedge funds with respect to securities offerings, regulatory compliance, registration and trading issues. He represents private equity and pension funds, crown corporations and other institutions on investments, financings and regulatory matters and also acts for Canadian, U.S. and offshore fund managers and investment management companies on business and registration issues, new products, financings and regulatory matters.
Prior to joining the firm as a partner in 2009, Robert was a partner at another prominent national law firm, where he practised for 15 years. Earlier in his legal career, Robert was Senior Counsel and Vice-President with Merrill Lynch Canada and Manager, Listings at The Toronto Stock Exchange. He also worked as a Corporate Finance and International Markets lawyer at the Ontario Securities Commission.
Robert is a graduate of the University of Western Ontario (Bachelor of Arts – B.A. and Bachelor of Laws – LL.B.) and the London School of Economics and Political Science (Master of Laws – LL.M.).
- Acted for Assured Automotive Inc. in its sale of assets and business to Boyd Group Income Fund for $194 million. Ontario-based Assured is the largest operator of non-franchised collision repair centres in Canada, while the Boyd Group is one of North America’s largest operators of auto repair facilities. The purchase price was funded with cash consideration and Boyd Group Income Fund units, which trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX). With the acquisition, the Boyd Group expanded its network to 474 locations across North America, including 110 in Canada. Assured will continue to operate under its original brand name.
- Acted for Xstrata Nickel and Koniambo Nickel on various project and commercial agreements for the $5 billion Koniambo Project nickel mine, smelter and related infrastructure in New Caledonia.
- Acted for the underwriters on the U.S./Canada MJDS cross-border public offering of common shares by Coastal Contacts Inc.
- Acted for the issuer on the underwritten offering of $550 million of senior bonds for financing the Northeast Anthony Henday Drive ring road PPP infrastructure project in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Acted for the issuer on the underwritten offering of $230 million of senior bonds for financing the North Island Hospitals in British Columbia.
- Acted for the underwriters, led by Stephens Inc., on two U.S./Canada cross-border offerings of common shares by Regional Management Corp.
- Acted for Spektra Jeotek and Spektra Drilling Canada Inc. on the acquisition of Forage Mercier Inc., a mining drilling company in Quebec.
- Acted for the issuer on the underwritten offering of $190 million of senior bonds for financing of the new Ontario Forensic Services and Coroner’s Complex PPP infrastructure project in Toronto.
- Acted as part of the team for Canacol Energy Ltd. on short form prospectus offerings of $100 million total value of common shares and convertible debentures.
- Acted for Copperweld Corporation on its sale to Atlas Tube Inc. and Dofasco Inc.
- Acted on the take-over bid defense team for Clarington Corporation and its subsequent sale to Industrial Alliance.
- Acted for Public Sector Pension (PSP) Investment Board on private equity co-investment.
- Acted for Mackenzie Investment Management Inc. on its sale to Waddell & Reed Financial, Inc.
- Acted for Brick Brewing Co. Limited on numerous acquisitions, financings and business initiatives.
- Acted for Williams plc and its Canadian subsidiaries on the divestiture of various Canadian assets and the demerger of Williams plc into the separate companies Kidde plc and Chubb plc.
- Acted for Jascan Resources Inc. on its sale by way of plan of arrangement to Breakwater Resources Ltd.
- Acted for Falconbridge Limited on its investments in Baltic Resources Inc. and MCK Mining Corp.
- Acted for Bank of America Canada on offering of units linked to offshore investment company advised by Chesapeake Capital Corporation.
- Acted for BICC Phillips Inc. on its going private transaction.
- Acted for the special committee of the board of directors of Kerr Addison Mines Ltd. on the buyout by Noranda Inc.
- Acted for Minacs Worldwide Inc. on its initial public offering and listing on The Toronto Stock Exchange.
- B.A., University of Western Ontario
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario
- LL.M., The London School of Economics and Political Science
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Mining Law), 2018-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Leading Lawyer in Corporate Finance & Securities, 2018-2020
- Lexpert Special Edition on Global Mining, Leading Canadian Lawyer
- Martindale-Hubbell, Leading Canadian Lawyer
Memberships and Directorships
- Director and past Chairman, The London Goodenough Association of Canada, a charitable foundation that provides scholarships for Canadian graduate students to study in England
- Former Special Lecturer, Multijurisdictional Disclosure System for cross-border securities offerings - Faculty of Law, University of Western Ontario
- Former counsel, Corporate Governance Committee, Pension Investment Association of Canada
- Past member, Securities Law Subcommittee, Canadian Bar Association - Ontario
- Former director, Moorelands Community Services, a charity that provides after-school programs and trips to summer camp for Toronto inner-city children
My latest insights
DLA Piper (Canada) LLP recognized in the 2022 Best Lawyers in Canada guide
25 August 2021 .66 minute read
DLA Piper Canada's Capital Markets group has fast-paced start to 2021
3 March 2021 .1 minute read