Duncan Burns-Shillington maintains a general practice in employment and labour law.
Duncan has experience advising employers across British Columbia and Ontario in a wide range of workplace issues, including employment-related litigation, collective agreement interpretation and negotiation, human rights and accommodation, health and safety, employment standards, privacy law, responding to union organizing, and employment matters in corporate transactions. He has appeared before various levels of courts and tribunals, including the Supreme Court of British Columbia, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Ontario Labour Relations Board, BC Human Rights Tribunal, Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario, and Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Duncan completed his articles with a boutique management-side employment and labour law firm, during which he went on secondment with the Ontario Labour Relations Board. During law school, Duncan was a Dean’s Honour List student. He has also previously worked for the federal government in the area of executive policies and compensation.
- Provided employment advice to Tier1 Financial Solutions on its acquisition of Alessa.
- J.D., Queen’s University, 2016
- B.A. (with Distinction), Industrial Relations, McGill University, 2012
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of Ontario
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia