Kristof De VulderPartner
Kristof De Vulder has over 20 years’ experience of helping global clients with technology and telecommunications contracts, cyber incidents, outsourcing, offshoring, cloud contracts and complex technology transactions. He advises both users and suppliers.
Kristof leads the Belgian technology team and assists clients with business-critical strategic projects and incidents all over the world. He advises on all aspects of the procurement process, the legal issues arising with the implementation of new technologies and responding to cyber incidents.
He has worked with global technology suppliers, major IT-buyers, software companies and public sector bodies on a broad range of technology and sourcing transactions, ranging from global application management outsourcing and multi-jurisdictional business process outsourcing to the creation of standard suites of agreements and cloud computing.
He also assists clients during all stages of major IT litigation cases, including pre-litigation strategies, mediation, arbitration and government courts.
Kristof regularly speaks at conferences and seminars about IT law, particularly on the topics of outsourcing and SLAs.
He has been a lawyer with DLA Piper since 2003 and a partner since 2005. Prior to joining the firm, he worked for a Belgian law firm which became the Brussels office of DLA Piper in 2003. He was formerly a scientific collaborator at Ghent University.
- Advising a global technology company on the framework for a major ERP implementation project by a European Institution
- Advising a government company on the framework for the procurement of data centre outsourcing services
- Advising a global life sciences company in connection with five major multi-jurisdictional outsourcing agreements, including application support outsourcing and HR business process outsourcing
- Advising clients regarding their cloud strategy, including the review of cloud contracts, the negotiation of such contracts and the drafting of cloud 'overlay' contracts
- Advising on multi-jurisdictional F&A business process outsourcing between a leading technology company and an international bank
- Drafting and negotiating an offshore application development and maintenance agreement between a payroll service provider and one of the largest offshore service providers in India
- Assisted a world leader in the packaging industry in the preparation and negotiation of a global telecom deal following which all of its sites transferred all of their telecom service requirements (data, fixed and mobile) to a single supplier
- Assisted a Belgian public company in a dispute following termination for cause of a public procurement contract for the major development of customised software; this case is unique both in terms of technical complexity (e.g. thousands of pages of meeting and test reports) and in terms of the complexity of the underlying legal issues (e.g. government contracting terms), particularly regarding the unprecedented termination of a public procurement contract of such value, duration and importance
- Université Libre de Bruxelles, Telecommunications law, 1999
- Université Libre de Bruxelles, Corporate Law, LLM, 1998
- Université Libre de Bruxelles, Master in Law, 1996
Awards and recognition
- Band 1 lawyer, TMT: Information Technology, Belgium, Chambers Europe 2018-22
- Hall of Fame, Industry Focus: IT and Telecoms, Belgium, The Legal 500 EMEA 2018-22
- Leading individual, EU Regulatory: Information Technology, Belgium, The Legal 500 EMEA 2018-22
- Recommended lawyer, EU Regulatory: Privacy and Data Protection; Industry Focus: Healthcare and Life Sciences; Industry Focus: Media and Entertainment, Belgium, The Legal 500 EMEA 2022
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Brussels Bar
- Active member of the editorial board of several legal journals including Nieuw Juridisch Weekblad
My latest insights
Direct and indirect damages: what these terms mean and how they are used in different...
6 December 2022 .1 minute read