Vilmar Luiz Graça GonçalvesHe/Him/HisPartner
I feel very pleased to have the firm as a partner. Especially, sharing problems and seeking solutions with partner Vilmar has made me evolve a great deal. Excellent quality of service! They are always available when needed, whether by e-mail, telephone, or instant messaging. Great partnership!
Vilmar Luiz Graça Gonçalves assists in legal and administrative proceedings involving mining, agribusiness, solid waste and shipping oil companies. He is additionally experienced in representing energy and telecom companies, among others, in individual and collective disputes. Vilmar also has large experience in crisis management and alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
DLA Piper and Campos Mello Advogados (CMA) are separate and independent law firms, which work in cooperation with one another. Partners of DLA Piper are not partners of CMA; and CMA partners are not partners of DLA Piper.
Advised a Brazilian organization of producers of sugarcane and fuel ethanol on legal opinion regarding the analysis of the technical assumptions used in the studies prepared by Federal University of Rio de Janeiro that indicates values of maximum specific reactivity for ethanol higher than previously stipulated, from technical analyzes conducted by Unica, as well as the consequences of approval of the studies, by the Federal Environmental Agency (IBAMA), which supported the definition of new phases of the Vehicle Emissions Control Program affecting the technological development of the automotive sector in relation to flexfuel engines.
Advising water and sewer company on the environmental aspects of a project being developed for the provision of water and sanitation to 26 municipalities of the state of Rio de Janeiro and the construction of a wastewater collection system for the environmental recovery of Baía da Guanabara.
Defending Brazilian Power Company in administrative proceedings filed by IBAMA (the Brazilian environmental protection institute) and the Environmental Agency of Mato Grosso do Sul, which resulted in the imposition of fines due to environmental damage caused by a wildfire, for which the client is allegedly liable.
We provide legal assistance regarding environmental matters to an Australian globally-focused energy company in respect with its activities. We also represent Client before the Federal Environmental Agency (IBAMA) in Infraction Notice imposed against company regarding an industry issue that is affecting client's activity in Brazil.
Advising a Turkish energy company in several aspects related to an innovative Project that foresees the operation of four Powerships (floating Thermoelectric Power Plants), such as (i) legal advisory in environmental matters, (ii) legal assistance in the environmental licensing proceedings, (iii) representation in lawsuits filed by the Federal Prosecutor Office and NGO, (iv) negotiations with Public Prosecutors, environmental agencies as well as other stakeholders, (iv) assistance in communication with medias and interviews, and (v) representation in Parliamentary Investigation Committee.
- Universidade Gama Filho, LL.M. in Public Law,
- Universidade Federal Fluminense, Degree in Administrative Law
- Escola da Magistratura do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Degree in Consumer Law
- Universidadde Veiga de Almeida, Bachelor of Law
- Degree in Administrative Law, Universidade Federal Fluminense
Degree in Consumer Law, Escola da Magistratura do Estado do Rio de Janeiro
Bachelor of Law, Universidadde Veiga de Almeida
- The Legal 500 Latin America
2021-2022 - Recommended, Brazil Environment
- Leaders League – Brazil
Environmental Law: 2021 and 2022
- Author, "Necessidade de mudança do clima," Estadão, August 2022
- "Brazil's New Abuse of Authority Law," in partnership with Luiz Santiago Filho e Louise Dias Portes, as part of the Thomson Reuters Global Guide to Financial and Criminal Business Law, Thomson Reuters, 2020
- "Covid-19 e proteção ambiental," in partnership with Paulo de Bessa Antunes, Estadão, 2020
- "O Uso de Recursos Tecnológicos para Proteção do Meio Ambiente no Brasil," in partnership with Nathália Almeida (2020, publish by Editora Revista dos Tribunais – Regulation Collection 4.0 – Volume II)
- "Prescrição Intercorrente nos Processos Administrativos de Estados e Municípios," in partnership with Paulo de Bessa Antunes Editora Habitus – Edição Especial Leading Cases Ambientais, 2020
- Professor of Environmental and Administrative Law, Universidade Candido Mendes
- Coordinator, MBA in Environmental Law, Universidade Candido Mendes
Memberships And Affiliations
- Rio de Janeiro
- São Paulo
- Arbitration Commission, OAB, Rio de Janeiro, 2019–2021
My latest insights
Campos Mello Advogados advises Carmo Energy in the closing of its acquisition of...
17 January 2023 .3 minute read
Campos Mello Advogados advises Starboard in joint acquisition of Pampa Sul power plant in...
27 September 2022 .3 minute read