George McLellanLegal Director
George has a wealth of experience in the area of public and administrative law. He focuses on supporting claimants in commercial judicial review, supporting participants in public inquiries, advising public authorities on lawful decision making, and supporting Government departments to write new legislation.
His clients operate in a range of sectors including health, sport, media, financial services, advertising services, food, consumer goods, construction products, and energy. He regularly advises UK Government departments and other public authorities. He also supports several charities and community organisations.
George maintains a New Zealand practice through which he supports Kiwi companies operating in the UK with regulatory, commercial, data protection, and other core legal needs. This includes well established Kiwi brands as well as emerging start-ups.
- In Summer and Autumn 2022, George supported the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) to provide strategic legal advice and support in establishing a new government entity called Great British Nuclear (GBN).
- George was part of a DLA Piper team that helped the Government Legal Department to successfully defend against a judicial review claim brought by the Good Law Project against the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care (DHSC): R (oao Good Law Project) v Secretary of State for Health and Social Care  EWHC 2468 (TCC).
- George was instructed by a claimant in pursuing a significant commercial judicial review challenge concerning the legality, lawfulness and rationality/proportionality of the Food (Promotion and Placement) (England) Regulations 2021 (SI 2021/1368) made by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care. He worked with Tom Hickman KC of Blackstone Chambers and Christopher Knight of 11 King’s Bench Walk: R (oao of Kellogg Marketing and Sales Co (UK) Ltd and anor) v Secretary of State for Health and Social Care  EWHC 1710 (Admin).
- George supported a major UK brand in successfully defending the credibility of environmental claims made in its advertising campaigns in the context of a regulatory investigation by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA). The claim was successful and resulted in the investigation being closed without official findings being made.
- He supported a global food brand in appealing a preliminary UK Code of Broadcast Advertising (BCAP Code) ruling of the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) in connection with rules on advertising foods deemed to be ‘high in fat, salt and sugar’. This was the first time a BCAP Decision was ever reversed following an appeal to the Independent Reviewer.
- University of Canterbury, LLB, 2008-12
- Institute of Professional Legal Studies, 2011-12
- George is ranked in Chambers as an ‘Associate to Watch’ in the field of Administrative and Public Law
- He is listed as a ‘Key Lawyer’ in Legal 500 in the field of Administrative and Public Law
- George was a co-author of a report published in 2022 titled “Racism in Sport: Options Paper Potential legal, regulatory and other practical reform to address racist abuse in sport”.
- 2011-16, Trainee/Solicitor/Associate, New Zealand law firm
- 2016, Solicitor, London based international law firm
- 2016-17, Locum Solicitor, UK non-Departmental Public Body
- 2017-20, Associate, London based international law firm
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Member of the New Zealand Law Society
- Member of the Administrative Law Bar Association
- Member of the Kiwi Expats Association