Cristina Mihalceanu is an intellectual property lawyer with experience in litigating and providing strategic advice in all areas of patent, trademark, and copyright, as well as regulatory and compliance for life sciences companies.
She assists clients on all aspects of their projects and litigation: from managing intellectual property portfolios, providing strategic advice on intellectual property risk management, to representing clients in court. Cristina has notable trial and appellate experience as she has appeared before the Ontario Court, Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal. In addition, she works with clients and counsel in various jurisdictions to manage a global strategy to multi-jurisdictional intellectual property matters.
Cristina has experience with proceedings under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations, and provides strategic advice to innovative life sciences clients on regulatory and compliance issues for pharmaceuticals, biologics, and medical devices.
Cristina’s expertise in intellectual property law is informed by her technical background in the sciences, coupled with her ability to understand complex technologies across multiple industry sectors. She has acted on behalf of clients in a wide range of industries including the life sciences, pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical, biotechnology, oil and gas, mining, and high-technology areas.
- Pfizer Canada Inc. et al. v. Janssen Inc. et al. (T-396-13) - acting on behalf of Pfizer in a damages case flowing from a patent infringement action related to biologics for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Aria Vent Inc. et al v 2033784 Ontario Inc. c.o.b. Made2Match (T-469-20) - representing the plaintiff in a patent infringement action related to air vent register assemblies.
- Assisting Zoe International Distributing Inc. c.o.b. HBI Canada, a leading smoking accessory wholesaler and manufacturer, in relation to various trademark protection and enforcement matters.
- Darin Grenke et al. v. DNOW Canada ULC et al. (T-1236-01/A-282-10/A-244-18) - representing GrenCo in a patent infringement and damages action concerning a patent on stuffing boxes used on oil wellhead drives.
- SmileDirectClub LLC v. Manitoba Dental Association et al. (CI 19-01-22657) - brought an action on behalf of SmileDirectClub for false and misleading statements related to clear aligner therapy and teledentistry.
- G&W Distilling et al. v. MXM Beverages (T-890-19); G&W Distilling et al. v. Northam Beverages (T-779-19) - representing G&W in litigation asserting trademark and trade dress rights related to vodka soda beverages.
- MediaTube Corp. v. Bell Canada (T-705-13/A-35-17) - representing patent owner NorthVu Inc. in a high-technology patent infringement action relating to distribution of audio/video signals over existing telephone wires.
- SNF Inc. v. Ciba Specialty Chemicals Water Treatments Limited (T-1749-11/A-479-15) - acting as counsel in a patent impeachment action concerning treatment of tailings ponds.
- San Remo Lighting v. Ortech Industries Inc. (T-2188-14) - acting on behalf of San Remo in an action seeking a declaration of non-infringement related to plastic electrical boxes.
- Francisco Munoz v. Deb Worldwide Healthcare (CV-12-453905) - defending patent owner Deb in an action brought by an inventor to invalidate a patent assignment related to foamed alcohol hand sanitizing compositions.
- Deb Worldwide Healthcare v. Ecolab (T-379-11) - representing Deb in a patent infringement action relating to foamed alcohol hand sanitizing compositions.
- J.D., University of Windsor, 2010
- B.Sc. (Biochemistry and Biotechnology) (Hons), University of Windsor, 2007
- IP Stars - Rising Star, Managing Intellectual Property, 2020
- Co-author, "International Copyright Law: A Practical Global Guide, Second Edition", Globe Law and Business, February 2022
- Co-author, “Cannabis regulations: Health Canada’s solution to support the Cannabis Act,” Inside Internal Controls, August 2018
- Co-author, "Canada to recognize patent agent privilege," The Lawyers Weekly, January 2016
- Co-author, "Science v. sales," The Lawyers Weekly, July 2015
- Co-author, "Red Label Vacations Inc. (Redtag.ca) v. 411 Travel Buys Limited," E-Commerce Law Reports, Volume 15 Issue 2, March/April 2015
- Co-author, “Patents: Year in Review” (presented at the annual Intellectual Property Law: The Year in Review program), Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, 2010-2015
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Toronto Intellectual Property Group
- Member, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Member, Ontario Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association Biotechnology Committee, 2015-current