James has a well-established practice in the areas of banking, secured financing and corporate and commercial transactions.
With respect to banking and secured financing, James is recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada for his work in Banking and Finance Law and as one of Canada’s leading practitioners in the areas of Asset-Based Lending and Banking and Financial Institutions in The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory. The more difficult, complex and structured the transaction, the better. Syndicated, secured, non-secured, domestic, cross-border, revolving, term, asset based, cash flow, convertible, equity sweetened, crypto lending, mining finance, acquisition finance – the weird and the wonderful. James consistently acts on complex cross border and domestic transactions for some of the largest Canadian and international institutions.
James also advises clients on a broad variety of corporate/commercial agreements, including shareholders agreements, partnership agreements, management services agreements, asset and share sale agreements (M&A), collaboration agreements and confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements. His clients have included a number of life sciences and tech companies as well as not for profit organizations, and he has served on boards through the entire life cycle, including involvement with a Canadian tech start-up from 1.0 beta testing to a high multiple, multi-million dollar exit.
- M.B.A., Dalhousie University, 2005
- LL.B., Dalhousie University, Schulich School of Law, 2005
- B.Sc. (Honours) Queen’s University, 2000
- Lecturer Presenter, The Intensive Short Course in Secured Lending and Debt Finance, Osgoode Hall
- Moderator (2015 to 2023) – Association for Corporate Growth, Capital Connection, Alternative Lenders Panel
- Various community boards and organizations
Memberships and Affiliations
- Law Society of Ontario