Todd Shikaze practises civil and commercial litigation, with a particular focus on complex class actions.
Todd represents clients in a broad range of practice areas, including class action defence, construction and environmental law, shareholder disputes, and professional governance and regulation. A significant portion of Todd’s practice involves defending national competition law class actions.
Todd has represented clients and assisted senior counsel in commercial arbitrations and at all levels of provincial courts including the B.C. Supreme Court, the B.C. Court of Appeal, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Ontario Court of Appeal, the Yukon Supreme Court, the Yukon Court of Appeal, the Saskatchewan Court of Queen's Bench, and the Manitoba Court of Queen's Bench. Todd also has experience with matters before administrative tribunals such as the Canadian Transportation Agency, the B.C. Health Professions Review Board and the Canadian Competition Bureau.
Todd joined the firm as a summer student in 2012, articled with the firm in 2013 and became an associate in 2014.
- Successfully defended passenger vehicle carriers against certification of a proposed class action alleging anti-competitive conduct.
- Acted for various manufacturers of consumer electronics in class actions across Canada which allege anti-competitive conduct, including in respect of various automotive parts, electrolytic capacitors, lithium ion batteries, optical disc drives, static random access memory, and other products.
- Defended a public electric utility in a 15-day trial regarding a hydro-electric turbine installation project.
- Acted for an environmental remediation contractor in a commercial arbitration regarding dumping of contaminated soils.
- Assisted a self-regulated profession to prevent non-members from using certain professional designations in B.C.
- Successfully defended a national retailer in a false imprisonment lawsuit.
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 2013
- B.A., University of British Columbia, 2009
- Law Foundation Award, 2011
- Best Lawyers, Lawyer to Watch (Corporate and Commercial Litigation), 2023
- Co-author, "The Supreme Court of Canada 'Levels' Class Certification," Class Action Defence Quarterly, Vol 14, No. 2, December 2019 [Reprinted by permission of LexisNexis Canada Inc., from the Class Action Defence Quarterly Edited by Eliot N. Kolers, Copyright 2019]
- Co-author, "On the 'Level' After Godfrey: Proving Liability in Canadian Price Fixing Class Actions," Class Action Defence Quarterly, Vol 12, No. 2, December 2017 [Reprinted by permission of LexisNexis Canada Inc., from the Class Action Defence Quarterly Edited by Eliot N. Kolers, Copyright 2017]
- Volunteer Clinician, Law Students’ Legal Advice Program, 2010
- Volunteer, Vancouver Folk Music Festival, 1998-Present
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Law Society of Yukon Territory (Temporary)
- Member, Canadian Bar Association