David Spratley advises clients on a wide range of intellectual property (IP), information technology (IT), privacy, e-commerce issues and related issues.
- Acted for Tier1 Financial Solutions on its acquisition of Satuit Technologies, Inc.
- Acted for Seequent Limited in its acquisition of Geosoft, a Canadian-based software company.
- Acted for CDW Canada Corp. in its acquisition of Scalar Decisions Inc., a leading technology solutions provider in Canada.
- Acted for the seller of CUL Administration of Canada Ltd in its acquisition by U.S. based Auto Financial Group.
- Advised on the acquisition by Asmodée of Fantasy Flight Games Inc., a worldwide recognized hobby games publisher and Days of Wonder Inc., a top-quality, family-oriented board and online games publisher.
- Assisted Canfor Pulp Inc. with complex IP licensing issues related to the formation of its joint venture, “Licella Pulp Joint Venture”, with the Licella Group of Australia for the development of various biofuel plants in Prince George, British Columbia.
- Assisted litigation counsel represent a tobacco accessory supplier in trademark infringement litigation against an infringer, including helping negotiate and draft settlement documents.
- Advised a foreign software services provider about privacy and data protection issues relating to Canadian data routing through foreign jurisdictions and returning to Canada.
- Advised a major sporting goods supplier on implementing a new Canadian e-commerce platform for selling products directly to consumers.
- Assisted a local production company reach a favourable settlement with a large US film production company that had engaged in reverse trademark infringement.
- Drafted and negotiated sponsorship agreements with professional athletes (including NBA and MLB players) for a performance and lifestyle underwear maker.
- LL.B., Dalhousie University, 2001
- M.L.I.S., Dalhousie University, 2001
- B.A., Political Science, (Honours), University of British Columbia, 1995
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada (Information Technology Law: Vancouver), 2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada (Intellectual Property Law), 2017-2023; (Technology Law), 2018-2023; (Information Technology Law), 2020-2023
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Chair, Computer Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, 2004-2006
- Vice-chair, Computer Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, 2003-2004
- Secretary, Computer Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, 2002-2003
My latest insights
Canadian intellectual property lawyers contribute to Chambers Global Practice Guide on...
12 April 2022 .2 minute read
The rise of facial recognition technology and Canada's response
8 November 2022 .1 minute read