Joshua (Josh) has a general business law practice with a focus on advising companies in the technology sector. Josh’s practice also includes assisting emerging and growth stage companies in a variety of industry sectors.
Josh regularly assists clients on a wide range of matters, including business formation and structuring, corporate governance, financings, purchase and sale transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and negotiating and drafting commercial agreements.
Prior to practising law, Josh was involved in starting and growing a small business. Through this experience, he gained valuable insight into many of the operational and legal challenges that early stage companies face and developed a passion for helping companies grow and succeed.
- FansUnite Entertainment on its US$58 million acquisition of American Affiliate
- Eldridge in its lead investment, with participation from Maverix Private Equity, of CAD$250m into Viral Nation.
- Numinus Wellness Inc. in its acquisition of the Neurology Centre of Toronto.
- Wamame Foods Inc. in its seed financing round.
- SE2, LLC in its acquisition of Montreal-based Breathe Life.
- Tru Earth Environmental Products in its Series A raise led by Renewal Funds and Export Development Canada (EDC).
- Smartt Inc. and its shareholders in its amalgamation with Rent-A-Nerd Computer Services Inc.
- AES Engineering Limited in its acquisition of a controlling stake in the sealing business of Performance Compression and Sealing Inc.
- Gratify Payments Inc. in its founding and the Australian and Canadian launch of its buy-now, pay-later solution for payment services providers.
- MintGreen Blockchain Innovation Corp. in its October 2021 Seed 2 round financing, led by Nelson Investments.
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 2019
- HBA, University of Toronto, 2016
- Certificate in Privacy and Cybersecurity Law, Osgoode Hall Law School, 2022
- Primer on Canadian Federal and Provincial Cleantech Funding Programs, May 2021
- Federal Court Defends CASL, Says Prohibition on Spam is Constitutional, Volume 17, No. 10, Canadian Privacy Law Review, September 2020
- Making B.C. an Emerging Economy Leader, June 2020
- A New Look for Corporate Social Responsibility: British Columbia Introduces the Benefit Company, June 2020
- Making Innovation Work for British Columbia, June 2020
- Please Read: Waivers of Liability Must Be Clearly Identified To Be Effective, March 2020
- As the “New NAFTA” Approaches Ratification, Regulated Foreign Entities Should Anticipate Stricter Record-Keeping Requirements, February 2020
- A $250,000 Reminder that “CASL” is Not Just an Anti-Spam Law, July 2018
Memberships And Affiliations
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia