Peace of mind in a competitive global market
Securing patent protection transforms a good idea into a powerful business. In increasingly competitive markets, it’s critical to protect your unique technology and revenue streams, while preparing for patent enforcement and litigation. Our experienced patent lawyers take a forward-looking approach to patent strategy. We’ll help you maximize revenue opportunities while mitigating patent litigation risk.
Effectively and strategically prosecuting patents is critical to business. And the reality that a patent may ultimately be enforced in litigation is unavoidable. We’ll guide you through patent prosecution and the development of a strategy to help your patent survive litigation in the future.
Our clients include major global corporations, emerging companies and innovative institutions such as manufacturers, service providers, universities and other law firms.
“The team at DLA Piper is incredibly sharp and responsive – they really take the time to understand our business, what our drivers are, and deliver an impeccable client experience.”
With offices in over 40 countries and a network of local firms in additional jurisdictions, we provide comprehensive global support.
We have significant experience in global patent application drafting and prosecution, and patent litigation and licensing around the world. And we’ll help you navigate developments in patent legislation, from the new Unitary Patent and Unified Patent Court in Europe, to FRAND licensing for standard essential patents, or the role of AI as an inventor.
We focus on strategic prosecution – the art of obtaining truly significant and enforceable claims issued at the least expense. And we help with post-issuance proceedings such as inter partes reviews and post-grant reviews.
Our patent prosecution docketing software enables us to access records securely and quickly and to customize reports to individual client needs. And we use AI and machine learning based tools to optimize application drafts and office action responses.
We collaborate closely with our Patent Litigation group in developing and implementing offensive and defensive strategies, including for the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), district courts and International Trade Commission. Our lawyers have in-depth technical knowledge, with advanced scientific degrees or significant industry experience. And over 50 of them are registered with the USPTO.
We can also help you take a strategic look at your patent portfolio to identify strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for additional revenue. We’ve helped many clients – from startups to Fortune 100 companies – to identify significant untapped value, new revenue streams, or IP assets as growth drivers and cornerstones to mergers and acquisitions.
Awards and recognition
- Ranked for USA – Nationwide Intellectual Property, Chambers USA
- Obtained patent protection directed to innovative lubricant materials for WD-40
- Obtained patent protection and developed patent portfolios directed to polyimide materials and photosensitive polymer materials
- Obtained patent protection for silicon graphite nanomaterials for use in battery technology
- Obtained patent protection directed to semiconductor materials and processes
- Performed freedom to operate analyses related to tunnel magnetoresistance materials and devices
- Obtained patent protection for collagen-based materials and structure for use in tissue engineering and regenerative technology
- Obtained patent protection for using artificial intelligence techniques to assess climate change risk at a financial security level
- Developed a patent portfolio for a drilling and oil/gas investment consultant focused on artificial intelligence techniques for well monitoring and productive well production analysis
- Patent portfolio development for large US computer company related to quantum computing
- Counseling on patent development for US research lab related to quantum computing
- Strategic patent portfolio development for public cybersecurity company
- Strategic patent portfolio development for a cloud-based cybersecurity company