James Chang focuses on public and private cross-border M&A and private equity transactions, corporate governance, securities law and leveraged finance. He regularly advises acquirers, sellers, boards, management and sponsors in M&A transactions as well as related debt and equity financings.
James also has wealth of experience advising investors and companies on early stage and growth capital investments, as well as advising leading corporations and investment funds on US securities regulations and corporate governance matters. James' practice involves a wide range of sectors including technology, media, telecommunications, healthcare, life sciences, energy and advanced manufacturing. He is also a member of our Global Insurance Sector Group.
In recent years, James has worked on a number of high profile cross-border acquisitions involving US and European targets. He also actively advises multinationals in their acquisition and investment activities in China.
James is one of few lawyers in Greater China with experience in proxy contests and shareholder activism. He has helped both management and shareholders secure victories in hard fought activist campaigns on multiple occasions.
James is a regular speaker on corporate and securities law topics. He has lectured at a number of law schools including the Renmin University School of Law and the Beijing Foreign Studies University International School of Business in China, and the National Academy of Legal Studies and Research in India.
- Advising Scientia Technologies Limited, a Chinese technology solutions and services provider to government and private enterprise clients, in receiving equity investment in the aggregate amount of USD 600 million from an affiliate of Hopson Development Holdings Limited, a Hong Kong-listed Chinese property developer.
- Advising Ping An Insurance (Group) Company of China, Ltd., and its affiliates and subsidiaries in multiple matters, including advising China Ping An Insurance Overseas (Holdings) Co. Ltd. in its successful exit from Bigo, Inc., a global operator of video streaming platforms in a buyout by the NASDAQ-listed YY Inc., for cash and share consideartion, and its US$150 million convertible preferred shares investment in the NASDAQ-listed GDS, a leading operator of data centers in China, and advising Ping An Good Doctor as special corporate counsel in its initial public offering on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and pre-IPO restructuring, with the whole company valued at USD7.5 billion.
- Advising on muiltiple going private transactions involving U.S.-listed China-based issuers, including representing the Independent Commmittee of the Board of Directors of the privatization of the NASDAQ-listed Ossen Innovation, and the founders in their privatization of the NASDAQ-listed Newater Technology.
- Advising on multiple de-SPAC IPOs, including representing MC Hologram, a China-based developer of holographic technology, in its acquisition by Golden Path Acquisition Corporation, a NASDAQ-traded SPAC, and VIYI Algorithm Inc., a China-based developer of bespoke central processing algorithms, in its acquisition by Venus Acquisition Corporation, a NASDAQ-traded SPAC.
- Cohu, Inc., a NASDAQ-listed U.S. semiconductor equipment company, in its sale of atg Luther & Maelzer GmbH, with operations in the United States, Germany, China and Taiwan, to Stockholm Stock Exchange-listed Swedish electronics company Mycronic AB.
- Advising Qumei Furniture, a Shanghai A-share listed leading Chinese furniture company, in its tender offer to acquire 100% of outstanding shares of Ekornes, a leading Norwegian furniture company listed on Oslo Stock Exchange, valued at approximately USD 630 million.
- Advising a global private equity firm in selling its equity stake in a consumer product company for an aggregate purchace price of US$230 million.
- Advising an A-share listed Chinese semiconductor company in its bid to acquire a multinational designer and developer of semiconductor devices based in United Kingdom and Asia.
- Advising a Chinese insurance group in its bid to acquire a Hong Kong-based life insurance company.
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2008
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2005
- Ranked in Chambers Greater China (2022,2023), Corporate/M&A: Mainland China-based (International Firms)
- Ranked in Chambers Greater China (2023), Private Equity: Buyouts & Venture Capital Investment (International Firms)
- Ranked in Chambers Asia Pacific (2020,2021), Corporate/M&A: Mainland China-based (International Firms)
- Ranked in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022,2023), China Private Equity: Foreign Firms, “Next Generation Partner” and China Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms, “Next Generation Partner”
- Recognized in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2018,2019,2020,2021), China Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms
- Recognized in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2019,2020,2021), China Private Equity: Foreign Firms
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in China (2020), Mergers & Acquisitions Law
My latest insights
DLA Piper has advised Templewater on the acquisition of Knight Auto
4 September 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises the Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Bridgetown Holdings...
1 June 2023 .3 minute read