Cameron advises clients on a variety of civil litigation and insurance related disputes. Cameron has had 25 years professional experience and has acted on some of the most high profile and high value insurance litigation in Western Australia.
Cameron is a senior litigation partner at DLA Piper and leads the firm's Australian litigation and regulatory group.
- Acting for a local government and its insurers arising out of a destructive wildfire in February 2011 ($50 million-$80 million claim in damages)
- Acting for a private company and its Lloyds Syndicate insurer in a claim it faced for misleading and deceptive conduct in relation to a Perth CBD boutique hotel ($10 million plus). Claim successfully defended in the Federal Court of Australia with special leave to the High Court of Australia refused in 2005 ( HCATrans 17)
- Acting for the D&O/C&R insurers of an Australian resources company in a $15 million recovery action consequent upon allegations arising from statements in a prospectus; the claim was dismissed with no order as to costs
- Acting for insurers in ISR claims arising out of gold mines in Kalgoorlie and Material Facilities Recovery operations ($20 million claim resolved in 2011). Also advising on current claims such as a claim in the Philippines concerning a gold mine ($45 million plus); another claim arising from the 2008 Varanus Island explosion and consequent impact on a copper mine ($15 million plus), and mass avian fatalities (caused by criminal conduct) leading to an alleged several million dollar loss at a chicken (egg producing) farm in Western Australia
- Advising the reinsurers of the State of Western Australia with respect to the very destructive November 2011 wildfire in Margaret River in Western Australia
- Acting for the installation contractor in a subrogated action by one of the insurers of one of Australia's largest energy companies against designers, following the failure of substructure piles during installation of an offshore gas platform. This loss was one of the largest energy losses worldwide of all time ($300 million in 1996 dollar terms in physical loss plus economic loss); the matter was settled on nuisance terms
Memberships And Affiliations
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Australian Insurance Law Association