Indonesia has the fourth largest population in the world (an estimated 280 million people – circa 2023) and is one of the fastest growing emerging economies in the world.
Indonesia boasts a young, educated population with burgeoning ranks of middle-class consumers and an increasing global trade flow. It is predicted that Indonesia could become the world's seventh largest economy by 2030 (up from 16th place in 2015). As a member of ASEAN, APEC and the G-20 group of nations, Indonesia has an increasing presence on the global economic stage.
Our Indonesia desk, primarily based out of Singapore, works very closely with lawyers across DLA Piper offices in Asia Pacific, the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. The growth and development of our Indonesia practice continues to be a firm-wide priority, and our dedicated desk is in recognition of our continued investment in Indonesia. Our principal Indonesia contact partners have worked and lived in Indonesia and have been actively involved in Indonesian matters, each averaging more than two decades of Indonesian experience.
SERVING OUR CLIENTS
Our team has represented state-owned and private enterprises, listed corporations, financial institutions and private equity funds on a broad range of matters. These include some of the most significant infrastructure projects, financings, debt restructurings, privatisations, capital markets offerings and mergers and acquisitions to have taken place in Indonesia.
Currently, international firms are not permitted to operate or open offices in Indonesia. However, we have long standing relationships with a number of local firms, allowing us to engage the strongest representation and experience as specific client needs dictate. We work with these firms on a frequent basis and know their capabilities and specializations.
Our Indonesia-focused team is ranked Tier 2 – Indonesia: Foreign Firms in Legal 500 2023 and Band 3- Corporate & Finance: Indonesia in Chambers Asia Pacific 2023.
In Asia Pacific, we have lawyers based in six countries. We are able to provide experienced support whenever you need it and wherever you operate. Our offices are located in Auckland, Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Perth, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Tokyo and Wellington and include local and internationally trained lawyers who offer high-quality legal services and an understanding of global and local business requirements and cultural considerations.
We also have strong alliances and relationships with law firms located in Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, India, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Timor-Leste, Taiwan and Vietnam.
- Advised PT Bank Tabungan Negara (Persero) Tbk (BTN), one of Indonesia’s largest state-owned banks, as its international counsel on its IDR4.13 trillion (USD360.2 million) rights offering.
- Advised PT Bank Mandiri Tbk on its USD2 billion MTN Program, USD500 million (2020) and USD250 million (2010) issuances.
- Advised on the establishment by PT Sarana Multi Infrastruktur (Persero), an Indonesian state-owned infrastructure financing company, of a USD2 billion EMTN programme and the issuance of USD300 million notes under such programme which were listed on the SGX.
- Advised General Electric on the internal restructuring of their transportation business and on the acquisition of the shares in Indonesia to Wabtec. The merger value at the global level is USD11.1 billion.
- Advised General Electric on the establishment and restructuring process of their distributed power business in Indonesia. The deal was part of the GE's sale of its global distributed power business to Advent International for USD3.25 billion.
- Advised PT Karyadibya Mahardhika and PT Surya Mustika Nusantara in their USD677 million sale to Japan Tobacco International, cementing JTI's entry into the world's 2nd largest cigarette market.
- Advised Perseroan (Persero) PT Aneka Tambang Tbk (ANTAM), the Republic of Indonesia's leading metals and mining company, on its landmark Rp 5.9 trillion (USD393 million) rights issue. ANTAM is dual listed on the IDX and ASX. PT Bahana Securities, PT CIMB Securities Indonesia, Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited, PT Danareksa Sekuritas and PT Mandiri Sekuritas acted as selling agents.
- Advised and represented the Indonesian Stock Exchange (IDX) in relation to the preparation and negotiation of a License and Service Agreement for IDX’s new and upgraded IT trading system with OMX Technology AB, an IT vendor from Sweden (NASDAQ).
- Advised PT Jasa Armada Indonesia Tb k (a subsidiary of an Indonesian state-owned port operator) on its IDR463.6 billion (approximately USD34.1 million) IPO on the Indonesian Stock Exchange and offshore offerings under Regulation S.
- Advised PT Widodo Makmur Perkasa Tbk on its IPO and IDX listing.