David Alexandre focuses on intellectual property, technology, data protection and privacy. He also has experience in media and telecommunications, advertising, e-commerce, consumer protection, product regulation, IT and outsourcing.
He regularly advises key players in these fields.
David is a regular speaker in intellectual property at leading French postgraduate schools and universities; he also is a regular speaker on data protection for various Luxembourg associations.
He is a founding member and member of the scientific board of the first Luxembourg-based intellectual property and technology journal ("Pin Code").
He is involved in pro bono work with NGOs fighting against discrimination and the dissemination of hate speech.
- Advising a French-based international drugs/cosmetics manufacturer on product compliance and labelling requirements.
- Advising a cannabis-related products manufacturer on product compliance and specific local legislation.
- Advising a number of automotive manufacturers on their regulatory and consumer law requirements, including documentation for new innovative and upcoming car technologies, as well as new car product lines.
- Advising an electronic toilets manufacturer on product compliance and mandatory declarations to local regulatory authorities.
- Advising several key manufacturers with respect to the recall of defective products and RAPEX proceedings (notably in the field of electronic products).
- Advising on anti-counterfeiting strategy for several players in the regulated goods sector, and coordinating actions with the local customs authorities.
- Advising a key telecommunications player on obtaining a new regulatory telecom license.
- Advising a key French-based international telecommunications player in the context of a complex advertisement/unfair competition litigation.
- Advising an international print business in obtaining the relevant technical licenses to act as a regulated and certified e-archiving service provider, for the purpose of setting up a new regulated entity in Luxembourg to serve the needs of financial institutions.
- Leading on several GDPR compliance audits for high profile companies/groups.
- Advising a leading industrial group on the implementation of sophisticated IT and cyber security systems, including privacy implications.
- Advising a major bank newly established in Luxembourg on IT procurement and outsourcing projects.
- Advising on complex trademark aspects during the sale of a leading chain of gourmet restaurants.
- Advising on the protection strategy of tri-dimensional trademarks for an iconic confectionery manufacturer.
- Leading the management/protection strategy of high-profile trademarks/domain names portfolios, including prosecution and litigation.
- Advising one of the world's leading entertainment and information providers on regulatory, copyright, data protection, telecommunications, and consumer law aspects of the launch of a streaming service in the Benelux.
- Advising the Clergerie Group (specialised in clothing and accessories) on the management of its global brand portfolio (approximately 200 brands).
- Advising Conair/Babyliss on the management of its trademark portfolio in France and in the EU, and on the enforcement of intellectual property rights.
- Advising the international sports federation Teqball on obtaining global intellectual property protection in several jurisdictions around the world.
- Advising the Alstom Group on the sale of intellectual property assets in the context of the sale of one of their production sites and two of their regional train platforms.
- Advising the ATR Group (a subsidiary of the Airbus Group) on the management of its brand portfolio.
- Advising the Flamingo Group on the intellectual property aspects of a transaction involving sophisticated and unusual plant variety elements and their protection by a producer.
- Advising an institute active in the field of life sciences on the protection of the intellectual property of its assets (e.g. creations and inventions of researchers and employees).
- Advising a global telecommunications service provider on innovative brand portfolio management strategy and creative ways to better protect intellectual property assets.
- Advising the pharmaceutical and cosmetics group Fareva on the global protection strategy of its intellectual property assets.
- Paris Bar School, 2009
- University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Postgraduate degree (Master 2) in Intellectual Property, 2006
- University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Master's Degree in Business Law, 2005
- King's College London, Diploma in Legal Studies, 2004
- David is rated in the Legal 500 as “Rising Star” from 2020. The clients describe him as “highly knowledgeable on IP litigation and prosecution”, exercising “talents in coordinating diverse counsel around the world ensuring a homogeneous top-quality experience, even in exotic jurisdictions”.
- David is a "recommended expert" in the World Trademark Review and described as providing "game-changing regulatory assistance and making light work of complex technology-related mandates", "adroitly handling large-scale trademark portfolios" from 2021
- David is recognized in Leaders League/Décideurs as “Excellent” in IP litigation and IT&Outsourcing from 2021
- Prix Fondation de France – Simone Goldschmidt (Paris Bar award recognising the merits of a young lawyer), 2015.
- Trademarks 101 by DLA Piper Luxembourg, 05 April 2023
- Interviews by the Lëtzebuerger Journal on intellectual property issues:
- Streaming without borders - 15 March 2023
- Lawyer stories - Copyright and video games - 13 Sept. 2022
- Declawing copycats – 2 May 2022
- Counterfeiting costs €83 million per year - 20 Feb 2021
- Update on specific intellectual property procedures in Luxembourg (infringement actions, summary proceedings), PIN Code, April 2022
- Metaverse art and fashion - How does this Miro look on my metawall?, 28 February 2023
- New Monaco data embassy in Luxembourg, 11 November 2022
- Update: Luxembourg draft bill on recreational cannabis, 28 June 2022
- CNPD adopts GDPR-CARPA certification criteria, 14 June 2022
- Transposition of the EU Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market into Luxembourg law, 06 April 2022
- Luxembourg - Global bribery offenses guide, 11 January 2022
- La protection des slogans par le droit des marques : parce qu’ils le valent bien ?, 18 June 2021
David has written publications on:
- UK revealed as Europe’s fastest growing hub for cannabis investment, DLA Piper Life and Sciences Sector, July 2021
- Global Trademark Guide, Luxembourg Chapter, DLA Piper Intelligence, 2020
- The Regulation of cannabis-based products across jurisdictions, PIN Code by Legitech, May 2020
- Implementation of the GDPR in the Luxembourg market (various Luxembourg publications)
- The dissemination of hate speech on the internet, with a special emphasis on the case of Mein Kampf's copyrights falling into the public domain (Pour en finir avec Mein Kampf (et combattre la haine sur Internet), 2016, Le Bord de l'Eau publishing)
- 2020: Counsel, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2019-20: Senior Associate, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2016-18: Senior Associate, a Luxembourg-based law firm
- 2009-16: Associate, boutique law firm, Paris
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Founding member of the Pin Code committee, the first IP and digital law review in Luxembourg
- Member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Member of the International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member of APRAM
- Founding President of the Association for Intellectual Property of Université Paris 1 – Panthéon Sorbonne (APIA)
- Member of the Luxembourg Banker's Association's (ABBL) GDPR cluster
- Member of the Immaterial Law Committee of the Luxembourg Bar Association
- Member of UNIFAB's College of Experts