James C. BookhoutPartner
James focuses his practice on complex commercial, technology, and real estate litigation. His experience encompasses cases in both federal and state court through all phases of trial, including discovery, motion practice, mediation, and trial preparation. He has represented clients in all types of cases, from contractual disputes to bet-the-company litigation.
In particular, James has extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions litigation, having represented private equity clients in disputes with both buyers and sellers in a number of significant transactions.
Additionally, James has extensive experience advising his clients regarding data privacy laws, including data breach notifications and similar requirements in the United States, the European Union, and around the world.
James previously served as a legal extern to The Honorable Judge A. Joe Fish of the US District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Represented private equity firm in US$500 million M&A fraud litigation against seller
- Represented publicly traded corporation and board of directors in responding to proxy nomination dispute initiated by activist investors
- Represented major financial institution in obtaining collection against loan in excess of US$50 million
- Represented multifamily residential development company in highly contentious litigation over real estate transaction worth approximately US$20 million
- Handled determination of heirship in and probate of US$5 million estate
- Represented multinational oil and gas producer in complex cross-border litigation, including discovery in aid of foreign proceeding
- Handled data breach notification and response for publicly traded company in approximately 30 countries and almost all US jurisdictions
- Named a Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Named a 2018 Best Lawyers Under 40 by D Magazine
- Named a 2019 Best Lawyers Under 40 by D Magazine
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises PRT Growing Services in its acquisition of International Forest Company
28 April 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises Epps Aviation in business acquisition by SAR Trilogy Management
24 April 2023 .2 minute read