Amy B. CarbinsPartner
Amy Carbins structures, negotiates, and executes complex commercial transactions including acquisitions, dispositions and financing. Amy is known for finding practical solutions for her clients’ complex problems while providing careful analysis and emphasis on risk mitigation tailored to her clients’ investment strategies. Amy knows how to deliver successful results in real estate transactions and development projects, including complex workout and restructuring matters.
Amy’s experience includes transactions involving data centers, multi-family, industrial, R&D facilities, medical office, independent and assisted living senior communities, mixed-use projects, shopping centers, hotels and resorts, and office buildings.
She also advises clients on leasing and asset management matters, including working with landlords and tenants on headquarters leases, single-tenant buildings, new construction leasing and representation of landlords owning large, multi-state portfolios.
Amy's experience includes:
- Represented a real estate investment fund in acquisition and financing of a 132,000 SF data center leased to two investment-grade tenants in Ashburn, VA.
- Represented a data center company in the private offering of US$850 million notes secured by a portfolio of data centers in Oregon, Texas, Georgia, Illinois and California.
- Represented purchaser/landlord in sale/leaseback of a broadcasting headquarters in Los Angeles, CA for US$211 million with a 35-year lease.
- On-going representation of private real estate company in acquisition, joint venture, mortgage and preferred equity financings and sale of US$1.3 billion multi-family portfolio.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of US$220 million portfolio of five single-tenant defense contractor office buildings in Northern Virginia.
- On-going representation of major national retailer in financing, dispositions, and portfolio management of over 1,000 retail sites nationwide.
- Represented international non-profit think-tank as tenant in a 90,000 SF lease for its new headquarters in Washington, DC.
- Represented Am Law 100 firm as tenant in a 185,000 SF lease in a to-be-constructed trophy office building in Washington, DC.
- Represented international oil company in disposition of real estate and other assets including more than 800 individual retail properties in the Southwest to a single purchaser.
- Represented lender in foreclosure, leasing, and disposition of a two-building office project, including single-tenant leases for each building.
- J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School 2004
- B.A., University of Oregon 2000
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, District of Columbia Real Estate (2022-2023)
- Band 4, District of Columbia Real Estate (2021)
Chambers comments, "Amy Carbins is co-chair of the practice, and offers expertise in matters including acquisitions, leases and complex structuring financings." Clients say, "She has a no-nonsense approach. She likes to cut through and get a deal, which is much appreciated in transaction mode." "She's learned from the best and has a terrific ability to negotiate firmly while keeping all parties engaged and moving forward."
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Real Estate (2020-2023)
- Up and Coming, District of Columbia Real Estate (2020)
- Named Law360's MVPs of the Year award in the Real Estate (2020)
- Honored in the Women of Influence Awards, CRE Legal Counsel category by GlobeSt. Real Estate Forum (2020)
Amy received DLA Piper's National Pro Bono Award, recognizing her outstanding pro bono service, including launching a collaboration with community legal service organizations to provide emergency legal services to survivors of domestic violence in San Francisco.
- Moderator, "Exploring the Dos and Dont's Behind Pivoting an Asset and the Incentives to Revitalize The District Through Repositioning," D.C. Office to Residential Conversions Summit (June 8, 2023)
- Speaker, Legal Mentor Transactional Bootcamp Series - Session 4, DLA Piper (2023)
- Moderator, "Real Estate Investment: Trends and Issues Driving the Region's Commercial Real Estate Market and Economy," Washington, DC (January 24, 2023)
- Quoted, "Mergers & acquisitions influx in DC: when worlds collide: 4 types of CRE mergers and why so many are happening," DC Bisnow, May 14, 2019
- "Prime Silicon Beach Office Building Recapitalized," Commercial Property Executive, June 12, 2019
DLA Piper advises PRT Growing Services in its acquisition of International Forest Company
28 April 2023 .2 minute read
DLA Piper advises Epps Aviation in business acquisition by SAR Trilogy Management
24 April 2023 .2 minute read