Andreas Gunst is an energy, projects and finance practitioner qualified in England & Wales and Ireland. He has both in-house and private practice experience.
His practice areas cover the entire energy value chain, including upstream oil and gas exploration, production, lifting, transportation and trading (both OTC and exchange) and supply; electricity generation projects from conventional and renewable energy sources; electricity transmission, distribution, trading (both OTC and exchange) and supply; and emission reduction projects, environmental attributes and securities, allowance and certificate trading as well as related regulatory advice.
Andreas was named ACC/ILO European Counsel of the Year 2013 (Regulatory) and has been recognised and ranked in Legal 500 and Chambers as an energy practitioner.
Andreas' experience includes advising on:
- International electricity interconnector and gas pipeline projects in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, Greece, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan.
- Physically and financially settled PPAs, Route to Market Agreements and project documentation for electricity generation projects from wind, solar, hydro, biomethane, natural gas, lignite, and coal syngas with carbon capture and storage in the UK, Germany, Austria, Finland, Sweden, Norway, France, Spain, Italy, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Russian Federation, Israel, Romania, Albania, Moldova, Serbia, Republic of South Africa, Botswana, and Tanzania.
- Trading platform and exchange rules, clearing rules, shareholder agreements, cooperation agreements, transfer of order books and open gas and power trading positions between clearing houses and financial services and energy regulatory requirements, including for Endex, ECX, ICE, EEC, EXXA, PRISMA, SEECAO.
- Connection Agreements, Turn-Down Agreements, Network Exit Agreements, Balancing Group Agreements and other network connection, use and balancing related agreements as well as EU and national Network Codes for gas and electricity networks.
- Commercial agreements on LNG liquefaction and regasification infrastructure, LNG SPAs and shipping including in Qatar, Nigeria, Cameroon, Cyprus, Russian Federation, Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom.
- Unbundling certification, exemption and derogation proceedings, investor state arbitration and settlement negotiations regarding changes to national concessions, regulatory conditions and support schemes, including under Energy Community Treaty, Energy Charter Treaty and Bilateral Investment Treaties.
- Acquisition of electricity generation and distribution, mining, heat production and distribution and oil, gas, petroleum product storage and transportation businesses, including in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Austria, Latvia, Lithuania, Turkey, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Albania and Kosovo, Tanzania, South Africa, Botswana, Saudia Arabia, Peoples Republic of China.
- Transactions under energy commodity (oil, gas, coal, LNG), emissions and environmental securities trading agreements (including GTMA, NBP, Beach 2000, ISDA, EFET, IETA, Rahmenvertrag, FOA ROCTMA, LEC, RECS spot and forward model agreements, FOSFA, SCoTA and the AIPN LNG Spot TMA) as well as under tailored spot, forward, option, swap, repo, cross-commodity and master netting agreements, or long form confirmations.
- Offshore and onshore gas and oil transportation, storage, commingling and quality bank documentation, including in Tanzania, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Russian Federation, United Kingdom, Norway, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Germany and Slovakia.
- JOA, PSA, Bid Group Agreements, Lifting Agreements, farm-in and farm-out, EPC, GSA, OSA, GTA and associated commercial agreements for onshore and offshore gas exploration, including in the United Kingdom, Norway, Tanzania, Somalia, Afghanistan, Guinea, Cyprus, Nigeria, Germany, Austria, Australia, Romania, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan.
- Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy, LL.M. Energy Law, 2001
- Georg August University Göttingen, Juristisches Staatsexamen, 2000
- "Andreas Gunst is the team leader and impresses through the breadth and depth of expertise on renewable energy matters and willingness to go the extra mile to ensure delivery and client satisfaction." Client, Legal 500 EMEA 2021
- "We have worked with Andreas Gunst for renewable work for a number of years and he is responding swiftly to comments occurring in a group decision." Client, Legal 500 EMEA 2021
- "I have many words of true appreciation and professional support for Andreas Gunst. He is a true leader in the field not only in Austria but in Europe." Client Legal 500 EMEA 2020
- Recommended Expert for Energy Advice im Energiebereich for London/Wien, Legal Experts Guide 2016
- Ranked as Top Tier Firm for "projects and energy" Legal 500 EMEA 2016 and 2017.
- EMW - PPA: Ein bedeutender Schritt in Richtung Standardisierungr, December 2019
- Alternative Fuels - Hydrogen, Lexis Nexis PSL United Kingdom, 2019
- Role of National Grid in the British Energy Market, Lexis Nexis PSL United Kingdom, 2019
- Alternative Fuels - Biofuels, Lexis Nexis PSL United Kingdon, 2019
- Alternative Fuels - Emobility, Lexis Nexis PSL United Kingdon, 2019
- Chamber's Global Practice Guide Alternative Energy and Power, United Kingdom, 2019
- Chamber's Global Practice Guide Alternative Energy and Power, Austria, 2019
- Energy Regulation and Markets Review, European Union, 2019
- Oil and Gas Review, Austria, 2019
- EMW - Contracts for Differences: Erneuerbaren Förderung nach britischem Vorbild, December 2018
- E-mobility: EU and UK legal and regulatory developments, 30 Jan 2018
- Since Nov 2013, Partner with DLA Piper Weiss-Tessbach, Vienna
- 2010 - 2013, Chief Legal Counsel and Compliance Officer, Nabucco Gas Pipeline International GmbH, Vienna
- 2006 - 2010, Senior Associate, Coordinator Climate Change Programme, Energy and Water Group, DLA Piper, London & Edinburgh
- 2006 - 2006, Seconded in-house counsel, Climate Change Capital, London
- 2003 - 2006, Associate, Energy & Projects Group, Global Law Firm, London
- 2001 - 2003, Lecturer and Counsel, European Energy and Competition Law, Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy, Dundee
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the Legal Advisory Task Force of the Energy Charter Secretariat
- Designated Expert of Energy Community Secretariat
- Counsel to the Legal Committee European Federation of Energy Traders
- Member and former co-chair of the GTA Drafting Committee, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Counsel to the Market Committee of RECS International
- Compliance Officer, TAG Pipeline