Jan RatajSenior Associate
Jan Rataj is senior associate with more than 20 years’ experience advising domestic and international clients on Corporate and Commercial law.
Jan mainly represents clients in regards to Czech Corporate and Commercial law matters concerning telecommunications, competition, data protection, pharmaceuticals, insurance, consumer protection, IT, and IP.
He also has extensive experience in advising on company transformations, in particular mergers and acquisitions, for a wide range of clients including dealing with issues of restructuring, tax, accounting and financing.
- Advising Michelin, a company from the group of French multinational tyre manufacturing company, on the acquisition of ČEMAT, a sales-focused company that offers accessories for handling equipment and construction machinery on Czech and Slovak market.
- Advising a British provider of underwriting of warranties & indemnities, tax liability and contingent liability insurance across EMEA, as a W&I insurer on issuing a W&I policy for the buyer, Raiffeisen Bank in relation to the acquisition of the Czech Republic's Equa Bank A.S. and Equa Sales & Distribution s.r.o. from Anacap Financial Partners (biggest deal on Czech financial market in 2021). The work involved the standard review of individual DD reports and draft SPA, with a focus on reps and warranties, drafting underwriting questions and participating in the underwriting call, and providing a recommendation to the client on scope of the insurance and exclusions.
- Advising Belgian web hosting company and leading digital enabler on the acquisition of Czech start-up, a website building and an e-shop platform provider.
- Advising an Italian luxury fashion house on the acquisition of local stores operated under its brand based on franchise contract arrangements, as purchase of part of business as a going concern from a local retailer.
- Advising ASC Investment, the private equity firm, on acquisition of VITRABLOK, the Czech manufacturer of the glass blocks, from Seves Group. Our advisory included structuring the acquisition from both corporate and financing point of view - the financing part included structuring the financing, dealing with the outgoing financing bank, repayment of its loan facility and deregistration of existing security, dealing with the new financing bank - negotiating the new facility agreement and security instruments.
- Advising Komerční banka, a.s. a major Czech bank and member of the Société Générale international financial group, and its group companies (insurance agency, investment firm/OCP, building society, financial leasing company) on a data protection project aiming at reviewing approaches taken in respect of processing clients´ personal data and at unification of existing standards, increasing the possibility of data sharing.
- Advising an American media company involved primarily in the production and distribution of feature films and television programs, in respect of their television series production in the Czech Republic. Working for international studios or financiers at a number of instances of other film productions, typically involving review or negotiating agreements with local production services companies, cast and crew, advising on local tax credit (film incentives).
- Advising consortium of three foreign developers regarding development of Nákladové nádraží Žižkov in Prague, one of the biggest brownfield areas in Prague, regarding residential and non-residential development of the area and exit from the project (sale to local developer).
- Representing number of US firms, typically in IT or pharma sector, in establishing their presence in the Czech Republic – templates of employment or independent contractor agreements, their adaptation for individual employees, day-to-day advice.
- Day-to-day Employment advice for a global provider of alternative taxi service.
- Charles University in Prague, Faculty of Law, Mgr., 2000
- University of Economics, Prague, Faculty of Finance and Accounting, Ing., 2000
- Since 2009, Senior Associate, DLA Piper Prague LLP
- 2005 – 2009, Senior Associate in one of the leading European provider of legal and tax services
- 2002 – 2005, Junior Associate in one of the leading European provider of legal and tax services
Memberships And Affiliations
Attorney-at-law, Czech Bar Association