Jonathan has over 18 years' experience in advising government, developers, contractors, consultants and financiers on a broad range of major construction and engineering projects in Australia, Asia and the UK.
His experience covers a diverse range of sectors, including commercial, residential, retail, health, education, roads, rail, ports, energy and telecommunications; and across a number of different contracting models, including PPPs, alliances, EPC/ EPCM, D&C/construct-only, operation and maintenance contracts, subcontracts and consultants' appointments.
Jonathan is highly experienced in advising clients on the procurement, structuring and delivery of projects; the allocation and management of risks; the drafting and negotiation of the project documentation; and the on-going management of contracts, including advising on design, construction and operational issues, and managing disputes.
Jonathan's time spent on secondment has also afforded him considerable commercial insight. He was seconded to Downer for a period of 18 months as the legal and commercial lead for Downer's successful tender (as part of the Evolution Rail Consortium), for the High Capacity Metro Trains PPP Project, plus 12 months on secondment to NBN Co Limited.
- Regional Rail PPP Project - advised Downer, as part of the Regional Futures consortium, on the tender for the Regional Rail PPP Project.*
- Sydney Growth Trains (SGT) Project – advised Downer on its successful tender and on-going delivery of the SGT Project.*
- High Capacity Metro Trains (HCMT) PPP Project – advised Downer, as part of the Evolution Rail Consortium, on its successful tender for, and delivery of, the HCMT Project.*
- Waratah Rolling Stock PPP - advising Downer on its through life support obligations for the Waratah Fleet, including the recent train management system upgrades.*
- Sydney Light Rail PPP Project – advised John Holland and Leighton Contractors on their joint tender for the Sydney Light Rail Project.*
- Southern Sydney Freight Line Project – advised ARTC on the procurement and delivery of the project, delivered in a series of alliances and lump sum contracts.*
- Suburban Roads Upgrade (SRU) PPP Project - advised Downer on its EOI submission for the Suburban Roads Upgrade Project in Melbourne.*
- ACT Law Courts PPP – advised Brookfield Global Integrated Services on its tender, as O&M Contractor, for the ACT Law Courts PPP Project in Canberra.*
Ports and utilities infrastructure
- Kooragang Island Coal Export Terminal Project – advised Newcastle Coal Infrastructure Group on the expansion of the Kooragang Island Coal Export Terminal Project, delivered under an EPCM contract, with various trade contracts.*
- NBN Co Limited – advised NBN Co on a number of contracts for construction / fit out works.*
* Denotes experience from a previous firm
- University of Melbourne, Masters in Construction Law, 2010-2012
- BPP Law School, London, Legal Practice Course, 1997-1999
- The College of Law, Chester, Post-Graduate Diploma in Law, 1995-1996
Warwick University, BSc (Hons), 1992-1995
- Best Lawyer’s in Australia list for 2014 to 2019 for Construction and Infrastructure Law.
- Doyle's Guide - Leading Front End Construction & Infrastructure Lawyers (NSW) - 2017