Gabriele Engels LL.M.She/herCounsel
Gabriele Engels is a certified IP specialist lawyer, with over 10 years´ experience advising retail & food companies as well as sports, media and entertainment industries on their strategic orientation, enforcement and defense of their brands and rights.
Gabriele specializes in contentious and non-contentious Intellectual Property, unfair competition and internet and digital matters and is a recognized expert in the field of brand strategy.
Her main focus is on both the optimization of application and protection strategies and the review of advertising concepts as well as the enforcement and defense of intellectual property rights, in particular trademarks and designs, in and out of court. She has wide experience in internet-related issues, in particular domain disputes and use of digital content, as well as managing worldwide IP portfolios.
Furthermore, she has wide experience in the structuring of contracts, notably licensing and other IP related agreements as well as advising with respect to games and gaming. She often takes part in due diligence activities regarding different intellectual property rights.
She is the author of numerous publications in legal journals and, in particular, a regular contributor to GRUR-Prax, and is often a guest-speaker in Universities and seminars.
- Advising and representing a publisher of online games in particular domain name disputes as well as copyright and trademark-related issues.
- Advising numerous fashion and consumer goods companies in connection with contentious and non-contentious design and trademark matters and the respective representation before German courts as well as the German and European Union Trademark Office.
- Advising numerous clients on and conducting of numerous contentious cases involving product piracy, including liaising with German custom authorities.
- Advising numerous clients continuously in relation to games of chance and competitions as well as other advertising and promotion campaigns and the corresponding unfair competition, consumer protection and data protection law issues.
- Advising an international media company with respect to the acquisition of a German TV channel as well as on its joint venture with a leading German entertainment company.
- Advising an international health and beauty retailer and brand owner on the acquisition of an international cosmetic company.
- Certified Specialist in Intellectual Property Law, 2014
- Higher Regional Court of Cologne, Second State Examination 2008
- University of Exeter/TU Dresden, LL.M. IP Law 2004
- JUVE Handbook 2021/2022: Frequently recommended for trademark and design law as well as competition law; “good in Soft IP with an eye beyond trademark law”, competitor
- Legal 500 Germany 2022: Recommended for intellectual property: trade marks
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recommended for intellectual property law
- DLA Piper advises REWE Group on investment in SK Gaming
- Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 88 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
- DLA Piper advises SevenVentures on investment in Sanity Group
- DLA Piper advises Stillfront Group on the acquisition of gaming company Sandbox Interactive
- DLA Piper advises team.blue on the acquisition of website builder Webnode
Gabriele is a lecturer in the fields of competition and antitrust law at the University of Applied Science Fresenius in Cologne. She also regularly lectures on trademark and Internet-related topics.
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Gabriele Engels worked in a renowned law boutique (2008-2012) and a big German law firm in Cologne (2012 - 2014) in the areas of intellectual property, copyright and IT law.
Memberships And Affiliations
- German Lawyers' Association
- Cologne Lawyers' Association
- German-Irish Law and Business Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
My latest insights
Best Lawyers / Handelsblatt recommends a total of 90 lawyers from DLA Piper in Germany
23 June 2022 .2 minute read