Markus Kotowski LL.M.Senior Associate
Markus Kotowski advises national and international corporations, investors and banks on real estate law, cross-border transactions and commercial lease agreements.
In the hospitality sector, Markus has a particular focus on the leasing, acquisition, development, franchising, management and financing of hotels, representing owners, operators and brands.
Markus co-heads DLA Piper’s international H&L Next Generation group.
- Advising IHG Hotels and Resorts on hotel leases, management and franchise agreements, development and refurbishments projects for all brands.
- Advising Merlin Entertainments Group regarding long term hotel and theme park leases and other aspects of real estate law for the Heide Park and Legoland theme parks.
- Advising Aareal Bank on the senior financing of a EUR 415 million European portfolio of 14 upscale hotels operated under NH and Radisson brands.
- Advising international brands and institutional owners in connection with the insolvency of var. white-label operators.
- Advising a leading US brand on the acquisition of a European brand/portfolio.
- Advising developers and leading German investment funds on the acquisition of hotels, student housing and mixed-use projects.
- Advising leading co-working operators including WeWork and TOG on all aspects of real estate law.
- Advising national and international investors, developers and investment managers on developments and transactions (including GLP, DIC, Catella, Aurelis).
- Advising an international investor regarding the establishment and expansion of a factory outlet center.
- La Trobe University Melbourne, LL.M. (Masters of Laws in Global Business Law), 2018
- Higher Regional Court of München, Second State Examination, 2014
- University of Augsburg, First State Examination, 2012
- Hotel Management Agreements - A multi-jurisdictional guide: Germany.
- Hospitality update Germany: Booking.com's best price clause is now okay rules German court, 8 July 2019.
- "Effective Supplementary Performance" in: The New Law - Suggestions for Reforms and Improvements of Existing Legal Norms and Principles, 2018, p. 77ff., Nomos.
- "Is there a right of a partial withdrawal? New issues regarding consumer statutory withdrawal rights due to the implementation of directive 2011/83/EU", VuR 2016, p.291ff.
- Upcoming: The International Hotel Investment Forum Berlin: Wednesday 4th May, 14.00 - The evolution of the lease.
- Markus teaches state examination candidates at the University of Augsburg in civil and public law, especially regarding contract and lease law as well as public building law.
Prior to joining DLA Piper Markus was a lecturer and researcher at the University of Augsburg and headed the Law School's preparation courses for the First State Exam 2015-2017. Markus has gained experience during legal clerkships at leading international law firms in Munich and at the German Embassy in Budapest. He worked for the Parliament of the Republic of Hungary in 2016. In 2018, Markus spent five months at DLA Piper's Melbourne office.
Memberships And Affiliations
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises YAYS on expansion into Germany with 200 key serviced apartment project...
6 September 2023 .1 minute read
DLA Piper advises KINGSTONE Real Estate on the acquisition of a property in Munich
20 December 2022 .2 minute read