Katharina PaulsSenior Associate
Katharina Pauls focuses on all aspects of data protection law and information technology.
Her national and international clients belong to various sectors (inter alia media, industrial sector, retail businesses). She particularly focuses on personalized (online) marketing, new business models, big data projects and AI, the protection of employee and customer data, CRM projects, cloud computing solutions and data security incidents.
- Advising an international media group with regard to issues on online marketing and GDPR implementation.
- Advising an international mail-order company on GDPR implementation and AI.
- Advising an international credit card provider on GDPR implementation.
- Advising a global audio brand on various GDPR compliance issues including drafting of policies and contracts.
- Advising an international luxury goods manufacturer especially on data protection and competition law.
- Advising an international industrial corporation on preparation of internal data protection guidelines for the operation of a global corporate compliance hotline.
- Advising on a landmark case regarding online marketing both from a data protection and an intellectual property law perspective.
- Representation of website operators (e.g. news offers, shops) in disputes with competitors and consumer organisations.
- Hanseatic Higher Regional Court Hamburg, Second State Examination, 2018
- University Hamburg, First State Examination, 2015
- Bundesarbeitsgericht zum Umfang des Auskunftsanspruchs nach Art. 15 DSGVO – trotz fehlender Entscheidung in der Sache wichtiger Wegweiser für die Praxis, IPT Germany, 30 April 2021
- BGH-Eilentscheidung: Bundeskartellamt gelingt Etappensieg gegen Facebook, IPT Germany, 24 June 2020
- BGH – Planet49 – Pflicht zur Einholung einer Cookie-Einwilligung gilt auch in Deutschland, IPT Germany, 28 May 2020
- Auskunftspflicht von Betreibern von Telemedien bei Rechtsverletzungen ihrer Nutzer, IPT Germany, 30 January 2020
- DSK zum Thema der Verarbeitung personenbezogener Daten für Zwecke der Direktwerbung, IPT Germany, 19 November 2018
- German Federal Labor Court rules on the scope of the right to information under Art. 15 GDPR, Privacy Matters, 4 May 2021
- Germany: Federal Court Summary Judgment: FCO Achieves Stage Victory Against Facebook, Privacy Matters, 25 June 2020
- Germany: Federal Court Rules On Obligation To Obtain Cookie Consent, Privacy Matters, 28 May 2020
- Online marketing: contract law and data protection law, inhouse workshop, 16.02.2021, Webinar
- Canvas & Whiteboard Tools, Risks from Contract and Privacy Law (together with Dr Nico Brunotte and Daniel Schäfer), 30.09.2020, Hamburg
- Online Privacy – Essentials, cookies, tracking-process, apps and more, 10.4.2019, 6.11.2019, 5.8.2020, 11.11.2020, Hamburg Media School
Prior to joining DLA Piper, Katharina gained practical experience in all fields of media law, in particular with regard to IT law, intellectual property law, copyright law as well as freedom of expression law. During her studies she worked for a leading German publishing house. During her legal traineeship she worked for DLA Piper as well as for a public broadcaster.
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Heliad Equity Partners on participation in EUR20m financing round of...
19 September 2021 .3 minute read
DLA Piper advises Heidelberger Druckmaschinen on the sale of software subsidiary DOCUFY to...
30 August 2021 .4 minute read