Vinny Sanchez is the Global Co-chair of DLA Piper's Technology Transactions and Strategic Sourcing practice and is highly recognized as a leading technology and outsourcing lawyer by The Legal 500 US and Chambers.
Vinny advises clients in complex technology, strategic sourcing/outsourcing and commercial transactions, including post-contract matters that arise during the normal course of these relationships such as implementation/transition challenges, governance, audits and disputes. A significant part of his practice also includes representing clients in digital transformation programs and supply chain management, including Nth party risk, business continuity and data and cyber risks. He also advises clients in technology acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures; strategic alliances and collaborations; and the commercialization of technology and data assets.
Vinny’s strategic sourcing/outsourcing experience involves the outsourcing of key business and technology operations, such as those related to information technology (networks/telecommunications, data center/co-location, application development/management, infrastructure, etc.), human resources, facilities management, finance, accounting, supply chain management, clinical trial, payment processing, research and development, and other key operational functions. He also advises clients on the development of strategic sourcing programs, including matters covering the entire contract lifecycle management process such as contract policies and templates, training/education programs, risk assessments, contract deviation reports, and governance/vendor management. He also has worked with clients on contract strategies for adopting, and accelerating the procurement of, new technologies.
Vinny’s digital transformation experience involves advising clients in navigating the legal and operational risks associated with the digital transformation of the enterprise and the evolution of business models that leverage both technology and data as strategic assets to be optimized and potentially monetized. He advises clients on critical implementation and transformation projects, including the migration of key business processes to cloud-based services and the shift from traditional lift-and-shift outsourcing models to “as-a-service” models. He also works with clients through their digital journey, including navigating the phases of ideation/incubation, innovation and commercialization or operational integration. As a trusted digital advisor, he guides clients through (1) the risks associated with establishing new digitally focused business models and platforms, (2) the adoption of new digital technologies such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, edge computing, cloud enablement and blockchain, and (3) managing technology and data as core strategic assets.
Vinny’s supply chain experience involves working with clients on navigating the risks associated with complex supply chains and ecosystems, especially those dependent upon digital technologies and data assets. He represents clients in supply chain and manufacturing agreements and regularly advises clients regarding Nth party risk, business continuity and data and cyber risks. (e.g., business continuity and concentration risk).
- M.B.A., Northwestern University 2002
- J.D., University of Notre Dame 1994
Editor in Chief, Journal of Legislation
- B.A., University of Notre Dame 1991
- Chambers Global
- USA Outsourcing (2018-2023)
- Chambers USA
- Nationwide Outsourcing (2023)
- California Technology: Outsourcing (2022-2023)
- Illinois Technology: Outsourcing (2012-2022)
- Chambers USA comments, "Vincent Sanchez has extensive experience with regard to ITOs, BPOs, technology audits and workouts arising from therefrom, and also cybersecurity in complex network and supply chains." Clients say, "He brings strong knowledge of the outsourcing market." "His vast experience, legal acumen and understanding of strategic considerations are invaluable. He provides strong client service and responsiveness." "He is a trusted and invaluable resource. He delivers excellent responsiveness and customer service."
Chambers USA comments, "Vincent Sanchez offers significant experience in advising buyers and sellers on outsourcing matters." Clients say, "He takes a reasoned approach, but he's a very zealous advocate for his clients."
- The Legal 500 United States
- Hall of Fame, Outsourcing (2023)
- Recommended, Technology: Transactions (2023)
- Leading Lawyer, Outsourcing (2018-2022)
- The Legal 500 has recognized Vinny for “his speed and his sound and reliable advice." They also have noted he is "pragmatic" and "possess[es] sound technical knowledge" and is "very responsive." He has been praised for his "precision and efficiency" and his "considerable communications skills." Vinny "is said to be 'exceptionally strong in technology transactions,'" and his outsourcing "team 'understands the needs of a global organization and customizes its advice accordingly.'"
In 2016, Vinny was named to the National Law Journal 's list of "Intellectual Property Trailblazers." The annual list recognizes legal professionals who have made significant contributions to the field of intellectual property through innovative practices, policies or technological advancements.
In 2004, the Law Bulletin Publishing Company, publisher of Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer magazine, named Vinny one of "40 Illinois Attorneys under 40 to Watch." In 2008, the Guide to the World's Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyers named Vinny among the preeminent IT practitioners in the world. He has been designated an Illinois Super Lawyer in research projects jointly conducted by Law & Politics and Chicago magazines.
- Co-author, "Exploring Operational Resilience in Financial Services – the Effects of DORA on Risk and Regulation in Top 3 Financial Markets," Computer Law Review International, April 15, 2023
- Co-author, "Generative AI for Essential Corporate Functions: Use Cases & Legal Considerations," Bloomberg Law, April 27, 2023
- Co-author, "What the Biden Cybersecurity Executive Order means for technology vendors and service providers in the federal ecosystem," June 2021
- Outsourcing: A Practical Guide, Second Edition, February 16, 2021
- Co-author, "COVID-19 Contract Issues Reach Beyond Force Majeure," Law 360, March 13, 2020
- Co-author "INSIGHT: Coronavirus Contract Considerations Beyond 'Act of God' Issues," Bloomberg Law, March 13, 2020
- The future of AI
- Exploring digital transformation trends
- Geopolitical and economic reflections on the growth of the Tech Sector - Tech Index 2022
- Digital Evolution Tech ad Sourcing Webinar Series
- Guest, "Episode 24 - IAOP PULSEcast," IAOP, December 29, 2022
- First Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps Reserve (1991 – 1995)
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises BASF on global carve-out of mobile emissions catalysts and precious...
18 September 2023 .5 minute read
DLA Piper announces new leadership of its US Technology and Life Sciences Transaction and...
7 August 2023 .2 minute read