Winson Lau is a fintech and digital assets lawyer in the Intellectual Property and Technology team.
He advises financial services providers on a full spectrum of legal and regulatory matters, particularly on their provision of services involving the use of emerging technologies, such as payments, wealthtech, and tokenization of real-world assets. His practice often involves analysing regulatory licensing and compliance requirements.
He also advises centralized and decentralized participants in the Web3 ecosystem, including crypto-asset exchanges, custodians, and issuers, as well as DeFi and GameFi platforms, on product design, securities law analysis, token issuance structures and distribution mechanisms, and establishment of legal wrappers for DAOs. In addition, Winson regularly advises financial institutions and multinational corporations on regulatory issues in their design and implementation of strategic Web3 initiatives.
- Advising a global digital asset derivatives exchange on the tokenomics design, issuance structure and distribution mechanism of its native exchange token with a view to addressing key regulatory risks and incorporating the exchange’s wider strategic initiatives.
- Advising a leading digital asset trading and market-making firm on regulatory and commercial issues in digital asset transactions in the context of liquidity provision arrangements, and regulatory treatment of proposed product offerings from a Hong Kong perspective.
- Advising various GameFi projects on regulatory issues relating to common features of native tokens with play-to-earn models, including staking, buy back and burn mechanisms, and governance rights.
- Acting on behalf of a Hong Kong-based smart solutions provider to liaise with the Hong Kong Monetary Authority on the proposed transfer of its stored value facilities (SVF) licence as part of a broader business initiative and assessing commercially viable options for novation of ancillary agreements.
- Advising a leading advertising and public relations company on its global strategy of Web3 integration in its media planning services, including the purchasing of advertisement spaces in metaverses, minting of NFTs for clients, and design of its native metaverse.
- Advised a global digital asset exchange on key intellectual property and regulatory issues in preparation for its launch of an NFT marketplace.
- Acting on behalf of a Europe-based stock exchange in its acquisition of a leading cloud-based technology provider, including advising on post-closing regulatory matters such as notifications to the SFC in relation to changes to substantial shareholders of a licensed corporation.
- Chinese (Cantonese)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- City University of Hong Kong, PCLL, 2019
- King’s College London, LLB (Hons), 2017
My latest insights
SFC issues proposed regulatory requirements for licensed virtual asset trading platforms
30 March 2023 .13 minute read
DLA Piper advises Dubai's Virtual Assets Regulatory Authority on world's first virtual...
13 February 2023 .3 minute read