Dr Jan Geert MeentsPartner
Managing Director, UK and Europe
Member of the International Executive Committee
Dr Jan Geert Meents is regarded as one of the leading IT and technology lawyers in Germany and focuses particularly on digital transformation, data analytics, artificial intelligence, cloud computing and data protection matters.
He has been helping national and international enterprises for more than 25 years with complex, strategic and innovative IT and technology projects. This has included advising on some of the most complex and highest-value outsourcing transactions and digital transformation projects in recent years.
Because of his outstanding experience in these areas, the European Commission engaged him as a member of the Expert Group on Cloud Computing Contracts.
Dr Jan Geert Meents is the editor of the leading book on the legal aspects of cloud computing and co-editor of the standard compendium for specialist IT lawyers in Germany. He has published numerous articles on technology-related topics and is a frequent speaker at national and international technology law conferences. He also holds a lectureship in IT contract law at the University of Oldenburg.
Jan’s experience includes advising:
- An international car manufacturer on the global legal framework of big data analytics
- A leading global provider of cloud services on various legal aspects of cloud computing
- A leading automotive company on data protection issues in more than 80 countries
- An international IT service provider in connection with complex technology-related projects as well as IT-outsourcing and business process outsourcing projects
- A German multinational engineering and electronics company on legal aspects of IoT and the digital transformation of their products
- Numerous companies on the technology side of M&A and PE transactions
- IT providers and customers on several IT and outsourcing projects
- University of Münster, Dr. jur., 1998
- Higher Regional Court of Munich, Second State Examination, 1998
- University of Munich, First State Examination, 1995
- University of Marburg
Awards and recognitions
- Top ranked for Information Technology: Transactions/Outsourcing in Germany, Juve Handbook 2022/2023
- Top ranked for Data Protection in Germany, Juve Handbook 2022/2023
- Top ranked for Data Protection in Germany, Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Top ranked for IT Transactions and Outsourcing in Germany, Legal 500 EMEA 2022
- Ranked for TMT: Information Technology – Germany, Chambers Europe 2023
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023/2024: Recognised as “lawyer of the year” for information technology law (2020) and recommended for information technology law and data security and privacy law
As part of his pro bono activity, Jan regularly advises the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) on data protection matters.
- The Duty to Perform and to Tolerate Over-the-Air Updates (with Julia Obradovic), Journal of Product Compliance 2022
- Commentary on Art. 16, 17, 18 GDPR, in: Taeger/Gabel (eds.), Commentary DSGVO, BDSG, TTDSG, 4th edition, Frankfurt am Main, 2022
- IT contracts, in: Walz (ed.), Beck'sches Formularbuch Zivil-, Wirtschafts- und Unternehmensrecht, German-English, 5th edition, Munich, 2022
- Over-the-Air Updates for Connected Vehicles – Duty to Perform and Duty to Tolerate, in: Specht-Riemenschneider/Buchner/Heinze/Thomsen (eds.), Festschrift für Jürgen Taeger, Frankfurt am Main, 2020
- Data Protection through Artificial Intelligence (AI), in: Kaulartz/Brägelmann, Legal Handbook Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Munich 2020
- The Value of Everything: How to Measure and Deliver Legal Value?, in: Jacob/Schindler/Strathausen (eds.), Liquid Legal, Transforming Legal into a Business Savvy, Information Enabled and Performance Driven Industry, Cham, Switzerland, 2017
- Editor of the Legal Handbook Cloud Computing, together with Prof. Dr. Georg Borges, Munich, 2015
- Editor of the Legal Handbook for Specialist IT Lawyers, together with Prof. Dr. Michael Lehmann, 2nd edition, Cologne, 2011
- Consumer protection in legal transactions on the Internet, Cologne, 1998
Memberships And Affiliations
- German Association for Law and Informatics (DGRI e.V.)
- International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
- The IT Working Group of the German Lawyers' Association (DAV IT)
- German-American Lawyers' Association (DAJV)
- German Lawyers' Association
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises HCLTech on acquisition of German Automotive Engineering Services Company...
17 July 2023 .2 minute read