John is a highly experienced data protection lawyer, leading the firm’s data protection, privacy and cybersecurity practice in Ireland.
One of Ireland’s best known and respected privacy lawyers, John has a varied client base of both Irish and international organisations and he is recognised by clients for his strategic advice on global data governance and compliance, data transfers, information security and breach response matters.
John also advises on contentious data protection and privacy matters, including information access requests and regulatory investigations.
Having represented BSA – The Software Alliance in the Schrems II case while at his previous firm, John was part of the global DLA Piper team that created a pioneering data transfer assessment methodology implemented through a legal tech tool, known as Transfer, which was launched to the market in July 2020, following the landmark judgment in that case.
John writes and speaks regularly on data protection and cyber security matters and has lectured and created course modules for the Law Society of Ireland, the Kings Inns and Trinity College Dublin as well as speaking at international conferences such as the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
- John is advising a range of international and domestic financial services, technology and life sciences companies on the creation and subsequent implementation of compliance and remediation strategies following the landmark CJEU ruling in Schrems II on the non-EEA transfers of personal data.
- Acted as lead legal adviser on cybersecurity and data breach response matters. Cases of note include legal advice to a major web services provider in connection with a data breach considered the largest in history; advising a regulated financial service entity following a significant hack; and strategic counsel to ensure the retrieval of a six-figure sum stolen in the course of a spear-phishing attack on a pharmaceutical firm.
- Advised domestic and international companies on investigations by the Data Protection Commission (DPC) under the Irish ePrivacy Regulations and the GDPR.
- Acting as standing global counsel on data protection and cybersecurity matters for a leading Irish-headquartered publicly listed company.
- Providing strategic advice to several multi-nationals on their ability to rely on the GDPR’s lead supervisory authority mechanism – more popularly known as the “one-stop shop”.
- Advised a US-headquartered insurer on a key global privacy compliance initiative, working with the client team to create a bespoke Data Protection Impact Assessment (DPIA) template and process for use on a global basis.
- Acted as lead adviser on GDPR readiness projects for major listed multinationals as well as leading businesses and organisations operating across a variety of sectors including insurance, financial services, ecommerce, automotive, food and investment funds.
John is recognised in Best Lawyers 2019 under ‘The Best Lawyers in Ireland’ for work in Technology law.
John is “commercial, client-focused and collaborative in terms of getting good results for clients.” He is described by clients as “easy and straightforward to deal with, even when under pressure. He is definitely a person I would go to in a crisis.” (Chambers Europe)
- Data watchdogs issued nearly €3bn in fines in 2022
- Ireland ranked second highest for GDPR fines - DLA Piper survey
- Ireland watchdog fines WhatsApp record sum for flouting EU data rules
- Ireland: Ireland legislates for third party rights - removing SCCs governing law concerns
- Ireland: Large-scale inquiries progress as DPC budget and staff numbers ramp up
- Data watchdogs received almost 7,000 complaints from Irish last year
Memberships And Affiliations
- Solicitor registered with the Law Society of England & Wales
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland (ACOI) Data Protection & Information Security Working Group
- Registered Irish and Community Trade Mark and Design Attorney
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Mount Street on ten-year strategic agreement with Aviva Investors for...
18 July 2022 .2 minute read
European data regulators issued over EUR1 billion in GDPR fines: Ireland now ranked second...
21 January 2022 .8 minute read