Sam Whittaker is an investment management and funds lawyer with over 10 years' experience advising sponsors, managers and institutional investors in the financial services, real estate and technology sectors on the full spectrum of funds work and joint ventures.
Sam's experience is truly global, having advised clients based in jurisdictions throughout the world including the Cayman Islands, France, Jersey, Hong Kong, the Middle East, Shanghai, Singapore, the UK and the USA. He has also spent time on secondment in the Luxembourg office of DLA Piper.
Sam's focus in real estate funds and venture capital funds, but he also advises on most other types of investment funds, including debt funds, hedge funds and private equity funds.
Sam has a broad range of experience advising sponsors about the establishment and restructuring of investment funds and joint ventures ranging from GBP20 million to GBP500 million in size.
Sam has particular experience in advising institutional investors about their fund investment programmes and he has advised on some of the most bespoke and innovative investment fund products in the market today.
His clients include fund managers, insurance companies, pension funds, family offices and venture capital businesses.
- Advising the London office of a US headquartered real estate asset manager about the formation of its EUR1 billion pan-European real estate fund, structured in Luxembourg.
- Advising a US based real estate asset manager about the formation of its sixth pan-European real estate fund, structured as an English limited partnership.
- Advised Waypoint Asset Management about the formation and launch of its GBP 100 million essential stores fund, structured as an English limited partnership, to invest in UK real estate.
- Advising Leafy Tunnel about the formation and launch of its GBP 30 million Guernsey-based fund that invests in medical cannabis and psychedelics. The fund is the first one of its nature to be approved in Guernsey.
- Advising a UK family office about both its private equity and venture capital fund investment programme.
- Kaplan Law School, Legal Practice Course, LL.B, 2010
- College of Law, Graduate Diploma in Law, LL.B, 2009
- University of York, History and Politics, BA (Hons), 2008
- Up and Coming, Chambers 2024 for Investment Funds: Private Equity: Venture Capital
- Next Generation Partner, Legal 500 for Investment Fund Formation and Management: Real Estate Funds
Sam joined DLA's London office in May 2016 from a City law firm, where he trained, qualified and worked for five and a half years prior to joining DLA.
Memberships And Affiliations
- British Private Equity & Venture Capital Association
My latest insights
UK Sustainability Disclosure Requirements (SDR): Key insights and implications for firms
30 January 2023 .12 minute read
Changes to UK Limited Partnership law: Economic Crime & Corporate Treasury Bill
24 January 2023 .18 minute read