David Alexandre focuses on intellectual property, technology, data protection and privacy. He also has experience in media and telecommunications, advertising, e-commerce, consumer protection, product regulation, IT and outsourcing.
He regularly advises key players in these fields.
David is a regular speaker in intellectual property at leading French postgraduate schools and universities; he also is a regular speaker on data protection for various Luxembourg associations.
He is a founding member and member of the scientific board of the first Luxembourg-based intellectual property and technology journal ("Pin Code").
He is involved in pro bono work with NGOs fighting against discrimination and the dissemination of hate speech.
- Leading the management/protection strategy of high-profile global trademarks/domain names portfolios, including prosecution and litigation.
- Advising on anti-counterfeiting strategy for several players in the luxury and/or regulated goods sector.
- Advising a leading group in the assignment, licensing and valuation of sophisticated IP rights and trade secrets, in the context of a cross border merger operation.
- Advising leading real estate companies on architect copyright issues, in the context of real estate development projects.
- Advising an international print business in obtaining the relevant technical licenses to act as a regulated and certified e-archiving service provider, for the purpose of setting up a new regulated entity in Luxembourg to serve the needs of financial institutions.
- Advising on complex trademark aspects during the sale of a leading chain of gourmet restaurants.
- Advising on the protection strategy of tri-dimensional trademarks for an iconic confectionery manufacturer.
- Advising a key telecommunications player on obtaining a new regulatory telecom license in Luxembourg.
- Leading on several GDPR compliance audits for high profile companies/groups.
- Advising a key telecommunications player in the context of a complex advertisement/unfair competition litigation.
- Paris Bar School, 2009
- University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Postgraduate degree (Master 2) in Intellectual Property, 2006
- University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, Master's Degree in Business Law, 2005
- King's College London, Diploma in Legal Studies, 2004
- David is rated in the Legal 500 as “Rising Star” from 2020. The clients describe him as “highly knowledgeable on IP litigation and prosecution”, exercising “talents in coordinating diverse counsel around the world ensuring a homogeneous top-quality experience, even in exotic jurisdictions”.
- David is a "recommended expert" in the World Trademark Review and described as providing "game-changing regulatory assistance and making light work of complex technology-related mandates", "adroitly handling large-scale trademark portfolios" from 2021
- David is recognized in Leaders League/Décideurs as “Excellent” in IP litigation and IT&Outsourcing from 2021
- Prix Fondation de France – Simone Goldschmidt (Paris Bar award recognising the merits of a young lawyer), 2015.
David has written publications on:
- UK revealed as Europe’s fastest growing hub for cannabis investment, DLA Piper Life and Sciences Sector, July 2021
- Global Trademark Guide, Luxembourg Chapter, DLA Piper Intelligence, 2020
- The Regulation of cannabis-based products across jurisdictions, PIN Code by Legitech, May 2020
- Implementation of the GDPR in the Luxembourg market (various Luxembourg publications)
- The dissemination of hate speech on the internet, with a special emphasis on the case of Mein Kampf's copyrights falling into the public domain (Pour en finir avec Mein Kampf (et combattre la haine sur Internet), 2016, Le Bord de l'Eau publishing)
- 2020: Counsel, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2019-20: Senior Associate, DLA Piper, Luxembourg
- 2016-18: Senior Associate, a Luxembourg-based law firm
- 2009-16: Associate, boutique law firm, Paris
Memberships And Affiliations
- Member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Founding member of the Pin Code committee, the first IP and digital law review in Luxembourg
- Member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Member of the International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member of APRAM
- Founding President of the Association for Intellectual Property of Université Paris 1 – Panthéon Sorbonne (APIA)
- Member of the Luxembourg Banker's Association's (ABBL) GDPR cluster
- Member of the Immaterial Law Committee of the Luxembourg Bar Association
- Member of UNIFAB's College of Experts