Dr Kai Bodenstedt LL.M.Partner
Dr Kai Bodenstedt focuses on providing legal advice to international corporate clients on all aspects of employment and labour related projects and disputes.
Kai has particular expertise in advising international companies in dealing with works councils (local works councils and European Works Councils). He has gained experience in representing employers at high profile cases in reconciliation boards to negotiate on consultation obligations towards works councils and at labour courts in both works-council and individual employment law related issues at local and higher labour courts and at the Federal Labour Court.
Kai has advised international and national clients on all areas of employment and labour law and was instructed on the following:
- Advising a huge German and Multi-National Company (more than 10,000 employees) on a cross-border merger, including transfer of business issues.
- Advising an international financial services company on setting up a new variable compensation scheme, including negotiation with the works council.
- Advising an international financial services company on data-privacy and employment issues relating to background checks.
- Advising an international aviation company on the restructuring of its German business, resulting in the lay-off of 50% (more than 100) of its headcount, including consultations with the works council.
- Advising a German financial services company on regulatory requirements for the remuneration of their board members.
- Johann-Wolfgang Goethe Universität, First State Examination
- Higher Regional Court of Hamburg, Second State Examination
Bucerius Law School, Hamburg, Ph.D.
Awards & Recognitions
- JUVE Handbook 2021/2022: Frequently recommended for employment law; “recognized expert”, client
- Legal 500 Germany 2023: Recommended for employment law; “Kai Bodenstedt: Fast and balanced advisory with a high level of technical expertise, extremely pleasant and uncomplicated cooperation.”
- Handelsblatt in cooperation with Best Lawyers 2023: Recognised as “lawyer of the year” for employee benefits law and recommended for labour and employment law as well as employee benefits law
- WirtschaftsWoche 2020: Recommended as "Top Lawyer" for employment law
- Clients have said: “What can I say – the support, guidance, and advice you’ve given us over this process (and the many iterations of it beforehand) are among the finest I’ve experienced in my career. You’ve been consistently brilliant from start to finish over a long journey, and I really appreciate how clear and concise your advice has been. It’s been great working together.”;
Kai is fantastic – his advice is practical, strategic and extremely helpful. He is a rock star.
Memberships And Affiliations
- Certified Specialist for Employment and Labour Law
My latest insights
DLA Piper strengthens German Finance, Projects and Restructuring practice with partner...
25 January 2023 .2 minute read