Qiang Li has been practicing law in Hong Kong and Shanghai since 1997. His practice covers mergers and acquisitions, private equity investment and corporate finance. He advises multinational and Chinese corporate and fund clients on their cross-border M&A and direct investments projects.
Qiang frequently counsels international investors on China’s foreign investment laws and has served as Counsel to the Board of The American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai. He is a leading authority on China’s myriad legal reforms in the areas of market access, corporate finance, corporate governance and general corporate matters.
Qiang has significant experience in representing Chinese airline companies in aviation matters. He is also the founding board member of the Aviation Law Society of Shanghai Law Society.
- Advising an A-share listed medical device company in a series of acquisitions of US-based medical device companies
- Advising a major Chinese investment firm affiliated to Shanghai municipal government in the US$400 million Series F financing for Mobileye N.V.
- Advising a leading Chinese airline company in its US$450 million strategic alliance with a leading US airline company as well as multiple issuances of dim sum bonds
- Advising a US Fortune100 company in the acquisition of a Singapore-based multinational company
- Advising a US Fortune100 company in its strategic alliances with a number of major state-owned Chinese companies
- Advising a major US chemical company in its acquisition of a Taiwan chemical company
- Advising a major US private equity fund in its purchase, financing, refinancing and disposal of a block of high-end residential apartments in Macao
- Advising an European real estate investment fund in the acquisition, financing, refinancing and disposal of a series of real estate projects in various parts of China
- Advising a major US multinational company with a household name in a series of purchases and dispositions of China-based business assets
- Advising a major European bank in its lease financing of a major recreational facility in Beijing.
- Advising a multilateral organization in its acquisition of a stake in a major Chinese bank
- Advising a formerly state-owned Chinese company controlled by its management on its initial public offering of shares on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advising a leading US beer manufacturer on its strategic alliance with a leading Chinese beer manufacturer listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Chinese (Shanghai)
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Columbia University, J.D., 1997
- New York University, M.Sc. in Physics, 1992
- Fudan University, B.Sc. in Physics, 1988
Qiang Li has been nominated as a leading lawyer by IFLR1000. He is also recommended by the Legal 500 Asia Pacific for his "high-calibre legal service" and business "experience."
- "Considerations for Investing in China: Overcome Fears, Challenges Now" (co-author), Daily Business Review, May 23, 2019
- "Demystifying the United States: Starting With the Role of Law" (co-author), Financial Asia, October 26, 2012
- "Country Guidelines for Navigating Offshore Legal Risks Facing PRC Enterprises (USA)" (Chief editor)
- "Assessing the State of M&A in China" (co-author) in Inside the Minds: Best Practices for International Business Transactions in China, 2011 edition, published by Aspatore
- "Dispute Resolution" (co-author), China Investment Manual, Volume I
Memberships And Affiliations
- Founding board member of Aviation Law Society of Shanghai Law Society