Rita M. PatelPartner
Co-Chair, Transactions Specialists practice
Rita is an experienced attorney focusing her practice on executive compensation and employee benefits matters. Her services span the full range of domestic and international employee benefits law issues, including complex taxation, equity design, disclosures, asset acquisitions and divestitures, mergers, spinoffs, and other strategic alliances. She routinely advises on benefits and compensation matters in both sell- and buy-side representations.
Rita regularly partners and collaborates with other departments across the firm on matters related to complex regulatory framework, proxy disclosures, executive agreements, incentive compensation arrangements, and retention, change-in-control, say on pay, and golden parachutes agreements. Rita advises on various tax and federal securities laws as they relate to such equity-based arrangements, including Section 409A and 280G, and routinely advises and provides comprehensive solutions on the design and administration of stock options, employee stock purchase plans, and various types of equity arrangements such as profits interest , restricted stock, restricted stock units, stock appreciation and phantom equity.
Rita maintains a broad-based employee benefits practice that includes designing sophisticated qualified and nonqualified retirement and deferred compensation plans. She has considerable experience advising clients in the correction of plan failures under IRS and Department of Labor correction programs. Rita routinely advises clients on fiduciary and governance matters, which includes the formation and operation of plan fiduciary committees and provides fiduciary training. She also provides guidance regarding welfare plans, including multiple employer welfare arrangements.
Her leadership and dedication are evident in her work as the Chair of the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation practice and Co-leader of the Transaction Services sub-group practice at DLA Piper.
- LL.M., Tax, Georgetown University 2000
- J.D., Dickinson School of Law of the Pennsylvania State University 1996
Woolsack Honor Society
- B.A., American University 1993
magna cum laude
- Chambers USA
- Band 3, District of Columbia Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2021-2023)
- The Legal 500 United States
- Recommended, Employee Benefits, Executive Compensation and Retirement Plans: Transactional (2018-2023)
- Recommended, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation and Retirement Plans: Design (2018-2020)
- Recommended, Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation (2017)
Rita continues to assist immigration clients through DLA Piper's pro bono asylum program.
Prior to joining the firm, Rita worked for the US Department of Justice through its Attorney General's Honor Program. Through this program, Rita practiced immigration law first as a US Immigration Court clerk and then as an attorney with the Executive Office for Immigration Review.
Civic and Charitable
- Board Member, Children's National Hospital (Children’s Health Board)
- Former Board Member, Street Law Board
Memberships And Affiliations
Firm Committees and PG Leaderships:
- Diversity Committee (Local Chairs)
- Executive Committee
- Finance Committee
- Policy Committee
- Retirement Committee (Partner)
- Practice Subgroup Leader - Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation (Chair)
- Practice Subgroup Leader - Transaction Services (Co-Leader)
- Member, 2021 Law360 Benefits Editorial Board
- American Bar Association, Taxation Section
- Vice Chair, Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Subcommittee
- Former Vice Chair, ERISA Litigation Subcommittee
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Taxation Section
- Former Vice Chair, Employee Benefits Subcommittee
My latest insights
DLA Piper advises Fiera Infrastructure and Palisade Infrastructure in joint acquisition of...
24 February 2023 .3 minute read
DLA Piper advises Freightos Limited in its business combination with Gesher I Acquisition...
26 January 2023 .2 minute read