Member of the Global Board and International Executive Committee
Charles Severs has broad experience of public and private mergers and acquisitions, and equity capital market transactions. He helps large multi-nationals, leading on complex multi-jurisdictional deals.
Charles acts for both listed and private companies in a wide range of industries, focusing particularly on technology, media and telecommunication, retail and business services.
His clients include John Menzies plc, Symphony Technology, Science Group, Elekta, Hexcel, Puretech plc and Keller Group.
Charles recently advised SDL plc on its recommended all-share merger with RWS Holdings plc. This transaction was one of the largest UK technology acquisitions of 2020, and created the world's largest language services company. He also advised Hyve Group plc on its GBP126.6 million rights issue, the first of such fundraisings during the UK’s COVID-19 lockdown.
Charles is commercially focused, understands how businesses like to work and is dedicated to client service. During his career, he has been seconded to BSkyB and Pearson Group as acting Group Legal Director, and has worked for a technology investment fund. These roles have provided him with insight of real value.
His primary motivation for returning to private practice was to deliver excellent client service. He enjoys building relationships and is passionate about effectively meeting client expectations, as demonstrated through his nomination by Thomson Reuters in 2020 as a ‘Star Lawyer’ for providing standout service.
Charles’ experience includes advising:
- SDL plc, one of the top five language service companies in the world, on the recommended all-share merger between RWS Holdings plc and SDL plc, valuing SDL plc at approximately GBP854 million – this transaction was one of the largest UK technology acquisitions of 2020, and created the world's largest language services company
- Hyve Group plc on its GBP126.6 million rights issue, the first of such fundraisings in the UK’s COVID-19 lockdown
- Symphony Technology Group on the acquisition of Kantar’s Reputation Intelligence business, alongside investments in PRgloo and Onclusive
- John Menzies plc on its recommended cash offer by National Aviation Services and Agility Public Warehousing Company, to acquire 100% of the ordinary shares in the company
- Bristol University, LL.B. (Hons)
Awards and recognition
- Top ranked Band 1 lawyer, Corporate/M&A: Mid-Market, UK, Chambers Europe and UK, since 2007 and 2005 respectively
- Leading individual, M&A: Lower mid-market deals, London, The Legal 500 UK since 2020
- Recommended lawyer, Equity Capital Markets, London, The Legal 500 UK since 2017
- Star Lawyer, Acritas Stellar Performance report 2020
- Governor on the Overseas Committee of Cranleigh School
My latest insights
DLA Piper ranked top by number of offices in Africa Legal's largest 50 firms
29 November 2021 .1 minute read