John Wei handles a broad range of U.S. federal tax matters. John regularly represents banks and asset managers with respect to the structuring of collateralized loan obligations (CLOs) and issuers with respect to the structuring of securitizations. John advises fund sponsors, investment advisors, and investors on a wide range of structures and asset classes, including direct lending, structured credit, private equity, and real estate. John also works with both purchasers and sellers in the structuring of domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions. John has performed tax advisory work in a wide range of industries, including defense, financial services, insurance, music, pharmaceutical, software, and technology.
- J.D., Yale University
- B.S.E., Princeton University
- The Legal 500 United States
2022 – Recommended, US Taxes: Non-Contentious
Clients describe John as: "highly responsive," and "[v]ery knowledgeable," who is "[h]elpfully thorough, particularly in written communications," and a "[n]otably clear thinker and communicator."
- Claiming the export exemption to the Section 4081 excise tax on diesel fuel and kerosene, 8 April 2021
- Co-author, "Reassessing the Beloved Double Irish Structure in Light of GILTI," Tax Notes International/Tax Analysts, April 23, 2018
- Co-author, "Selected Tax Issues in Rep and Warranty Insurance Deals," Tax Notes, January 8, 2018
My latest insights
DLA Piper Represents Liquidia Corporation in US$100 Million Revenue Interest Financing...
30 January 2023 .2 minute read
Transatlantic DLA Piper team oversees Phil Collins and Genesis back catalogue sale
3 October 2022 .3 minute read